You are reading a single comment by @stephenPspackman and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • My Bangle correctly follows my phone into a new time zone when appropriate, but I'd like my watch face to be aware of it—adding a small note (e.g. "PDT") on the display and perhaps a shadow hour hand for the pre-change time (if DST) or home time (otherwise).

To a first approximation, the phone appears to have this information in its TimeZone object, and could pass it through GadgetBridge into setting.json at transmitTime, perhaps also firing a Bangle.event("timezone").

There are a couple of wrinkles I know of: first, the familiar short timezone names are informally documented as deprecated because they are ambiguous for input (the deprecation may not be intended to apply to their use as display names but the wording in the documentation doesn't seem clear); and second that Java's TimeZone.getDisplayName() takes a Locale—which will obviously make a difference for long names like “Pacific Standard Time”, but the three letter abbreviations? I dunno. In any case, using the host's UI locale is technically incorrect given that the Bangle could presumably be set differently. But I imagine both these worries could be ignored in reality.

Also, of course, there may be considerations I've never imagined.

Or the info might already be available and I've been looking in the wrong place.

(More broadly it would be nice to get the current time zone's DST data uploaded to the watch, because it would be nice to get notice of DST *in advance*—as long as the world is still using them. Even more broadly it would be nice to get calendar events right in respect of time zones, but that's clearly an undertaking of another order.)

What does anyone think?

About