You are reading a single comment by @dzhu and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • That would be conceivable, but I don't think I would want to go in that direction from a technical perspective. Performance isn't really part of it (after all, anything running on a PC will far outstrip the real device anyway); it's more that I think WebAssembly is a better fit for this scenario -- this is basically exactly the kind of thing it was made for, by my understanding -- and asm.js has been considered pretty much made obsolete by it for a few years now, so I'd prefer not to use asm.js in a new project. And using the JS output would require writing everything in JS or embedding a JS interpreter, which didn't appeal to me personally as much. (Yes, I realize I'm saying that in the forum for a compact JS interpreter :P. I would certainly be delighted if someone did run Espruino on top of Espruino, though!)

Actually, if anything, I was considering proposing that the web emulator switch to WebAssembly. I'll hold off from formally making that a feature request, since it would take some work while having, admittedly, not much immediate practical impact, but would you accept a PR making that change?

About