Flickering display

Posted on
  • Hi, my bangle has been flickering on the display for some days. Exactly 3 after about 2 seconds the display switchs on. It does this with all apps, clocks, stopwatches etc. Do you have any idea what it could be? Thanks

• Is it possible you turned the backlight brightness down in settings?

The backlight brightness was added due to popular request, but the hardware doesn't support dimming so it's implemented with a bit of a hack - which means that it can be a bit flickery sometimes.

If it's not the backlight brightness, do you think you could take a video? I'm finding it hard to imagine what the issue looks like.

• Hello Gordon, here's the video. You can see the flickering between '20', '21' and '22' seconds.
    See you soon
    Gabriel

• Hi - I'm afraid I don't think the video has uploaded/linked in correctly?

• I'm sorry, I try again. Can you tell me right now if I could upload the video, please?

1 Attachment

• Thanks - that's great.

Please can you check Settings -> LCD -> LCD Brightness is set to 1? This is exactly the sort of flickering I'd expect if it wasn't.

• No, it is set to 0,9. It has been set to 0.9 for more than a month. Unfortunately it started to flicker a few days ago.
    I have, just now, set to 0,5. Flicker is less visible but always present. In any case, when I'm outdoors, a brightness of 0.5 would not allow me to watch the contents of the dispaly.

• Can you set the LCD brightness to 1 then? That will stop the flicker, and you'll be able to see it outdoors.

• Ok, I set LCD brightness to '1' and the flicker has disappeared, but the battery consumption will also be higher. Did you know this bug? Are you going to fix it?

• As I said initially:

The backlight brightness was added due to popular request, but the hardware doesn't support dimming so it's implemented with a bit of a hack - which means that it can be a bit flickery sometimes.

So there is no way to fix it. About the only solution is to remove the 'dimming' option and only allow full brightness.

The battery consumption is actually not as different as you'd think. There are some power usage figures in the reference: http://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_BangĀ­le_setLCDBrightness

But basically because of the switching overhead there is absolutely no power usage difference between 90% and 100%

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Flickering display

Posted by Avatar for Gabriele @Gabriele

Actions