You are reading a single comment by @ericlewis and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • There is a lot of gritty detail to how my own app works which is better saved for when I can share code. But we are going to do 2.5 basic things: create a (normal) bangle app & create new react-bangle app, change our host and JS engine a bit.

First: why.
    Our goal is to create a bangle app which launches and can tell our host app to fire up our react-bangle app we will soon create. This lets us launch a react-app on our host from the watch. It’s super simple: we emulate a button press, but use a button index that doesn’t exist. This gets intercepted uniquely and bam: we will have our react-bangle app on the screen.

That’s cool, we could create launcher bangle apps for each react-bangle app we make. But that’s still a pain. We have all this power, and the internet.

Instead, we will “bootstrap” ourselves by creating an app launcher which launches our hard coded react-bangle app. And that react bangle app is going to be... an app launcher!

In the current iteration it is a simple react app which pulls a JSON file from github of different app names, these map to folders which map to 2 files: main and vendor JavaScript files. Those contain the react & react-bangle code (and whatever other packages) needed for executing on the host. This is simply using create-react-app with our custom react-reconciler, and yarn build to grab the 2 production JS files. Our runtime JS is hardcoded to the host right now. This means we have a repo, we can display it’s contents on the watch. What happens when you select a app to launch?

Our bootstrapped react app has a super power in its global JS environment: a function which asks the host app to go and download the JS files for the selected app (passed as a paean), spin up a new JS engine, pause the one the bootstrapped app is running in, and then execute it, just like we do normally! The new engine gets all the Watch events, and it’s as though we are running an entirely different application on the bangle. Because we are. Sorta.

Some extra, neat things before I sign off and get back to hacking:
    This all probably sounds crazy inefficient to you, especially transmitting those drawing commands. Not to fret, this was heavily considered in order to make the app feel native to watch. Once such thing was hijacking all button presses. Another thing that was done: taking advantage of the doublebuffered LCD mode. This gets rid of that annoying flicker, and since we know exactly when and how our draws work (and we only call them once anyway) then it’s easy to implement. You just call flip after executing the generated command. There is a subtle downside to this: for stuff that doesn’t change too often, it almost doesn’t feel like the apps functioning! But, for things like counters: it’s great! Another bottleneck to overcome is our bandwidth: you can currently only send 16 chars at a time over the Bluetooth connection. This means we really want to reduce boilerplate on each render. This is achieved in 2 ways: the first way is taking advantage of chaining. All graphics commands can be chained, so in our emitted code you don’t see: g.drawString()g.drawString()g.setColor()­

You see: g.drawString().drawString().setColor()

Every char counts! We just saved 2. The more complex the render command, the more savings. Which leads us to another optimization: less verbose commands. While useful when coding as a human being, it’s non-optimal for transmitting in 16 byte chunks. You’ll remember earlier we created a bootstrap app. We can use this bootstrap app to create aliases for commonly used commands, then adjust our reconciler. Now, the commands emitted from earlier would look like this:
    g.s().s().c().

That’s pretty massive savings. And if your output is this simple, you will notice that it is almost imperceptible from a native bangle app (actually, usually feels better, because there is no screen flash). This principle is applied where it can be, including with colors. Another help is the cascading styles, which if used more cleverly could result in tremendous savings for complex styles.

What’s next?
    The reconciler still needs some work. The event emission system is janky. Work needs to be done to be able to use the sensors (which means the event system needs to not be janky). Everything is tied to a swift app (runs on macOS / iPad / iPhone / Apple Watch 😂) and needs to be refactored. Side note: the whole swift part of this is no more than 500 lines of code. Bluetooth + JS engine. 500 lines! The codes not badly architected at least. And you could totally emulate the architecture from a browser; which is why I laid it out the description as I did.

The whole sending entire commands isn’t super nice, and we are missing critical components like images! Adding more native components is high on the list. As well as figuring out some way to only send graphics commands to the bangle for pieces of the UI which actually changed (thankfully, Yoga should make this pretty trivial).

That’s all I have for now! Going to get back to hacking. Thanks so much for reading, and follow me on twitter if you would like to see videos and pics of the progress!

https://twitter.com/ericlewis

About

Avatar for ericlewis @ericlewis started