• About keeping extra stock... you easily have me beat. I won't even bother with a picture of what I thought was too much spare equipment haha.

I'm not sure about your Pi difficulties. I've only bought them maybe two or three times, and my usual go-to is Amazon where they were easily available... at least when I happened to be looking. But I have seen complaints that the zero is hard to get. In any case, I sent you a PM about my Pis.

Looking back at your original post and wanting to control your room with voice, it sounds like we were working towards a similar goal. Mine was all about controlling Philips hue lights (I replaced every single bulb in my apartment haha) along with a few WeMo switches (i.e., for the kitchen fluorescent light which couldn't be replaced with a hue). Voice was one of my ultimate goals, but as an optional control method. The main control was automatic, using Google's prediction API. Using motion sensors and other data, I came up with a set of metrics and measures and after building a good sized teaching set to initialize the API, I eventually got to the point where everything was controlled automatically.

But this was all before getting more interested in the hardware side of things, since I'm originally more of a software guy. Enter arduinos, etc., and Espruino. (For what it's worth, Espruino has been my favorite and it's where I've settled in, if @Gordon is listening). I have a working prototype built of a 3D printed cube with an Espruino for the brains that sets one of six different lighting scenes based on its orientation.

But now I've taken over your post to ramble about my own project haha, sorry about that. Check your PM for the Pi stuff, and I'm happy to bounce around ideas for room control stuff if you want. My project is never really done anyway.

About

Avatar for tambeb @tambeb started