• You all may know that I've been wanting to voice control my room for some time. I've gone through two EasyVR boards (one failed, the other one I gave up on - I was never able to beat 5-10% recognition rate on either unit), and spent many precious hours farting around with them, with little to show for it other than the module code and that gem of a response from the manufacturer in the other thread here.

So I just bought an Amazon Echo. I think that will be better - it definitely has the voice recognition down, which is more than I can say for the other solutions I've tried. The home automation feature of the Echo works with WeMo devices, like Belkin smart outlets. Luckily, you can spoof WeMo devices, and hence take arbitrary action in response to an on/off command.

I haven't had much time to look into how this all works - my python is a bit rusty - but this code very definitely works: I can run their demo code on my linux system, and say "Alexa, turn on device" and it works as expected. I mean, not that that's profound or anything "the example works". https://github.com/toddmedema/echo

I'll be trying to set this up to get voice control on my lights with a linux server this weekend, and I don't expect it to be particularly challenging. But I don't want to use the linux box full time - so the immediate question was whether this could be adapted to run on an Espruino... And then I thought, maybe someone else has done this - so I asked here.

The alternative I'm looking at is a Raspberry Pi - they say it works on that. The problem with a Raspberry Pi is getting one. Every place I check is out of stock on all of them except the most expensive model, the 3.0 - when I think any of them would do it for me. I can get "starter kits" with piles of parts that I don't want because I already have better versions of said parts, sold at eye-watering prices. Does anyone know how to actually buy a raspberry pi? Is the only option EBay? I can get a $5 pi zero on eBay for $18...

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started