• @d0773d ... for FreeRTOS, see this existing Github Espruino issue .. https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/iss­ues/699

The ESP32 which ... as we understand it ... will be an ESP8266 with a lot more RAM and CPU power ... will very likely use RTOS as its base. The ESP8266 today has an Espressif RTOS base that ... strangely ... appears that it may already need LESS RAM than the non-OS-SDK today. Not only that, it provides a blocking sockets based TCP/IP API. One of the side effects of that is that the networking portion of the Espruino port to EPS8266 could be replaced with the standard sockets networking code base today.

I have a Raspberry Pi 2 at my disposal and I'm going to start an investigation on the state of play of JavaScript programming with electronics integration on a standard Raspbian Linux base. I'll be writing that up for the broad community but as a side effect, we'll maybe get a sense on whether or not Espruino offers something that would warrant any form of port to native hardware. For example, we'll see if SPI, I2C, PWM and all the other items where we need exact timing come across without issue.

Ive also got a thought in my mind at the notion of an Espruino "shim" layer for existing JavaScript engines. For example ... if one took Nashorn as a JavaScript engine (for example) and then implemented the Espruino specific JavaScript APIs (relatively simple) ... would one then be able to harvest the large set of component integration libraries already available for Espruino on a non-Espruino JavaScript engine running on Pi Zero linux?

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started