• @Gordon I am also working the story from the perspective of the recipient of the HTTP Request ... in this case the AutoRemote application for Android. It is worth reviewing the logs and story that I have pasted there:

http://forum.joaoapps.com/index.php?thre­ads/tcp-or-rest-protocol-for-receiving-c­ommands.1569/

My best guess right now is that there are two errors in play ... and again ... this is a guess. One side comes from Espruino and one side comes from AutoRemote. Here is my thinking.

1) Espruino sends a GET HTTP request to AutoRemote ... which responds with an HTTP Response but does NOT close the HTTP connection. Even though the response message has returned "Content-Length" bytes, Espruino has not closed the connection and hence no 'on(close)' callback. This may be working as implemented but it might not be working as fully desired. As a JS programmer, I now don't have a nice mechanism to know when I have received a "unit" of HTTP response even though the knowledge is present. I.e. the header of the response says the body is "XYZ" bytes long and after having received "XYZ" bytes ... there is no callback to say that the "unit" of response is present.

2) AutoRemote is not honoring the "Connection: close" request sent by Espruino which "should" close the connection after sending a single response back. However ... even though that is likely wrong of AutoRemote and I'm taking that up with the AutoRemote team, I'm not convinced that Espruino shouldn't handle this story as part of a "keep-alive" strategy.

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started