nrf24, set channel?

Posted on
  • Is there a function or value in init that can set the channel? Something like nrf.setChannel(2); perhaps?

• Nope. Could be added.

You could use nrf.setReg(register,value) to do it - after looking up what register and value needs to be set.

I have a very low opinion of those NRF24 chips.

• I did use the setReg function.

I have had sporadic success but my opinion of them is not very high either.

Today I have tried OLED displays, SD card, etc, and everything went fine. Once I started playing with nrf24 it was all down hill. I have a Sparkfun nordic fob that I use for testing and its not going well.

• Just curious, whats wrong with these NRF24 Modules?

• I am not so sure the problem I am having is the nrf24. While I am seeing a lot of TX not received 30 I do not believe it is hardware noise. Now I suspect the javascript module code that drives it. Perhaps I will port one I wrote for a different micro just to see.

• They're notoriously flaky. I've had no joy working with them. First off, the boards you buy are inadequately bypassed and need additional caps across the power to not freeze during use. Secondly, they just aren't very reliable - messages aren't received at an acceptable rate. I'd been hoping to use them, but eventually I gave up. I would really have expected the whole thing to work a lot better then they do, considering what the specs suggest. Maybe the problem is 2.4ghz noise in the city from everyone's wifi....

I use "cheapoRF" (those really cheap OOK/ASK receivers) now for short range wireless; With compiled JS and a SYN470-based receiver with squelching (add a 5 meg resistor between CTH and Vcc pins on the chip, and it'll suppress the noise on the output when there's no signal), receiving with the Espruino should work well. I have a few boards with ATtiny841's programmed to handle the sending and receiving controlled via serial that I use as well (started that back before I knew about the SYN470's data squelching and before compiled JS was ready).

• @DrAzzy Something like these?

• The ones I am using are not the cheap ebay versions, but these from Sparkfun. They have on board regulators and filter caps. The biggest issue I had with them in the past was distance. I have never seen this kind of noise come from them.

Curious why the IRQ pin was not used?

• @Ducky Yeah, those are what i use.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

nrf24, set channel?

Posted by Avatar for cwilt @cwilt