• Hi @Gordon! The wood is pine and they market them as "hobby boards". They came as pre cut 235cm lengths of 20, 30 and 40 cm width at 1.8cm depth. Some of the boards were as long as 240 though...

The bench total will be about $400 which I think is totally worth it. It ended up the way I hoped basically :)

The fume extractor is just a precaution for me. I hope to be able to make some youtube videos and then it's worth to have it just to discourage people from yelling about it.

I did have a look at the OPL kit. It would've been perfect as a starting point.
    I could pay quite a surcharge to find a 'serious starters kit' of components. Preferrably I'd want one with breadboardable components and one with SMT. I have seen those 'books' with components.
    My goal is to cheat away ten years of gathering parts and equipment ;)

I am also considering taking a few hours to simply order what I want (it will be a lot :/ ) from digikey or equivalent and go from there. One other approach would be to order parts for the first couple of project I want to do, and just order more of each part that the project calls for. Only, I want to be able to prototype new ideas when I have them.

About