You are reading a single comment by @allObjects and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Mobile and Web are not mutually exclusive... The revolution to turn virtually everything - offline applications and fat clients - into Web in only a few years in the outgoing millenium is happening as well. Responsive with RESS is growing to the point that going native is affordable only for very specifc applications applications. All other things use the universal browser platform to show itself.

Agreed, it is way easier to get something installed on a device as 20+ years ago (then it was labptop/desktop)... but a similar thing can be said about the browsers as the universal, compatible platform for applications on ANY device - small smart phone to large smart tv: there was a time the term crossbrowser compatibility was THE elephant, but this elephant is about gone.

I could though see a combination of native app and server who hosts the definitions/configurations. It is still a pain for the native app provider to cover all the devices OS: iOS, Android, Windows, but the applications running within an elevated, dedicated platform, such as Blynk, share the common source from a server. Since connectivity has to be there anyway, I see no issue. To make things perform, the elevated, dedicated platform can implement a caching mechanism that supports reading the app only on update. From such a platform I would also expect to have a application selection mechanism: not all is in one (big scrollable) page, but organized in seperate distinctive, user defined view, easy to navigate through.

In the end, the system is hybrid: the runtime natively implemented, and the admin Web implemented - and of course seamlessly (for the admin part, the embedded browser is used to render what is comming from the admin Web server as Web pages).

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started