• Hi All, Thanks for all the answers.

I've had a go at following all of the above and also spent more time following traces, probing points on the board, etc, my understanding is now as follows:

• It's safe to power the Pico via the BAT_IN pin (aka BAT) from any DC 3.5-16V source
    • The VBAT pin (aka VCC or 5V) will get power from a 5V regulator
    • The 3.3V pin (aka VDO or 3.3) will get power through a 3.3V regulator (which is powered from the 5V regulator)
    • USB will always run through a schottky diode to prevent BAT_IN from giving power to USB if it's > 5V

I think my original question was doubly confusing as I'd confused VBAT and BAT_IN (partly due to all the different names for the same pins in different places).

Another question comes up though if I need a few 3.3V devices - the regulators according to the power section appear to be MCP1703T-3302E-CB which is rated up to 250mA - is this the correct limit for the version on the board and are there any other limits that will cause a problem first?

Would it make sense to put as many devices on the 5V regulator (VBAT pin) as reasonable to increase efficiency / raise maximum Watts if I'm coming at all close to that limit?

I don't think I will come close to the limit for anything I'm currently trying to solve (but I will actually test mA on each device individually now), but I'd just like to know what the best approach would be (short of introducing another regulator / external voltage follower / etc).

Cheers,
    Dave

About

Avatar for DavidSchoen @DavidSchoen started