Dang, these Pico's are cool :-)

Posted on
  • So tiny!

Pop on a shim, it's a very compact ethernet connected microcontroller.

Could have been slimmer, but I wanted to be able to separate it from the Wiznet.

Espruino, soldered to some of my Espruino Protoboard prototypes, with the resist and mask scraped away to reveal the pads for the mini-USB connector.

• Awesome stuff! Thanks for posting :)s

• Great! So the Mini USB went on ok? I know some of them have some plastic lugs that need cutting off :(

• Yeah, MiniUSB worked great. I expect to do this mod on more pico's than not (partly because I seem to have a dearth of USB extenders (and many of the ones I have are unfit for purpose - would you believe I have measured FOUR OHMS on power and ground lines from one end of a USB extender cable to the other?! And that's each way...), and a profound excess of mini USB cables.

Yeah, all the ones I got (2 batches - a case of ebaynesia) have have plastic positioning nubs on the bottom, but that's what razorblades are for (you've already got one in hand to scrape off the silk + mask...)

• For removing silk and mask, consider a rotary/engraving tool (with switchable accessories)... like Dremel, but it does not to be that sophisticated and high speed. There are inexpensive ($10), suitable ones available, powered with wall outlet power adaptor or cordless/battery. With the right accessory - just enough cutting/abrasive - it is a bit safer - for both you and the board - than a knife. Btw, lower speed means also less cutting/abrasive: you do not want to harm the cooper track/pad too much...

• I used fiberglass cleaning brush. It works also well.

• I fear doing such detail work with a power tool though....

• I used fiberglass cleaning brush. It works also well.

A fibreglass cleaning brush is a great idea - I forget where I put the one I had (I haven't use it in years), but it's probably just the right level of toughness to make a really nice job.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Dang, these Pico's are cool :-)

Posted by Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy

Actions