• Ok, so digging further there are others voltage regulators which 'could' be of some interest in various contexts:

1. TI reg113-33 Ultra Low Dropout Voltage: 250mV typ at 400mA, Output capacitor not required for stability and HIGH EFFICIENCY: IGND = 850 µA at IOUT = 400mA, Not Enabled: IGND = 0.01 µA
    2. Ti TPS73633 Iq (Typ) (mA) 0.4, Output Capacitor Type Cap Free Ceramic
    3. LTC3113 Regulated Output with Input Voltage Above, Below or Equal to the Output Voltage, 1.5A Continuous Output Current for VIN ≥ 1.8V, VOUT = 3.3V, Shutdown Current: <1μA. BEWARE output voltage is 3.8V if input voltage is more than 3.0V. I think it could be usefull with 2 NiCD batteries in series.

Clearly those 3 regulators are more expansive than the MCP1725-3302E/SN and they usually don't admit more than 5.5V in input...

If anyone has some experiences to share about this type of problem I'd be quite interested to share.

• I think that alternative #3 is a good choice. the input voltage range is interesting. I did not understand you warning about that Vout is 3.8V if Vin is above 3V. that is a misunderstanding. what the data sheet is talking about is that it can deliver up to 3A continuous current if Vin is at least 3V when Vout is 3.8V. if you have Vout set at 3.3V you will have 3A available even at much lower input voltage than 3V.

About

Avatar for asez73 @asez73 started