Web IDE - Connection issues

Posted on
  • I'm having repeated trouble getting the IDE to reconnect to my espruino.
    After laptop sleeps Console shows
    Connected >
    Which assume is the terminal session to comport
    But in About\Board information: Unable to get board information
    Only a disconnect from the IDE & board reset does the job.

Is it best to close IDE if your Lapi is going to sleep?

• What colour is the icon in the top left? Orange is disconnected, Green is connected.

I'd click the disconnect button before sleeping. I guess it depends on your OS, but probably when the laptop sleeps it actually shuts the USB connection down.

• I have the same problem, after shutting down my computer and restarting.
    Icon is green, but anything I send is ignored.
    Usually I have to disconnect/reconnect the board, sometimes twice.
    As far as I can see, this is a problem of chrome.

• I experience the same as JumJum running Windows7

Icon is green, but anything I send is ignored.
    Usually I have to disconnect/reconnect the board, sometimes twice.
    As far as I can see, this is a problem of chrome.

• Yeah, that's what I've experienced too.

If something happens that causes the system to lose the COM port while the IDE is connected, the IDE will continue to say it's connected, but it's not. But hitting the connect button a couple of times will sort this out (a big improvement from last summer, when you'd have to restart chrome and the IDE and replug the board to make it connect again)

The connection will die like that if you put the system into sleep while connected unless you're using a USB port that continues to supply power while the system is in sleep (ie, for charging stuff). My Asus Zenbook Infinity does that, and if I'm using the magic port, i'll come back to a wall of "Console moved from Serial1", but the connection will usually still be working.

• Thanks for the info.

I think this probably is a Chrome issue - serial port support has always been a bit dodgy. About the only thing that could be done is to make a node-webkit version of the IDE, which should avoid any of chrome's problems.

I doubt it's trivial to do though. I think someone was planning on giving it a try, but nothing has come of it so far.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Web IDE - Connection issues

Posted by Avatar for LawrenceG @LawrenceG

Actions