You are reading a single comment by @DrAzzy and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • The 3.3v regulator on the Espruino is rated at 150mA. We don't even need to do the thermal calculations - if you try to pull much more than that, the bottom drops out of the output.

Per Adafruit CC3000 page, peak power consumption of the CC3k is a whopping 350mA.

That's why http://espruino.com/CC3000 tells us to use VBat to power the CC3000 through it's Vin pin - the Espruino can't supply enough power at 3.3v.

The 3V3 pin of the Adafruit CC3k module should not be connected.

So, if you're powering the CC3000 board from the Espruino's 3.3v power source, that's your problem.

With the 9v battery connected to VBat, and the CC3k module's VIN connected to Espruino's VBat, it should work, provided the 9v battery you're using is capable of supplying the load without falling below 4 volts or so. If it doesn't, I'd monitor the battery voltage and see what it's doing - I'd expect a 9v battery to be able to take that (in pulses); maybe the battery is bad?

That said, I second Mike's pessimistic assessment of 9V batteries for this (or, frankly, almost any) application. A pack of AA's, some 18650 LiPo's (just remember, for chinese brands, divide the capacity spec by 3-5 to get the real capacity) or other sort of LiPo battery pack would serve you much better. Those rectangular 9v batteries are pretty crap - they're actually made with 6 tiny batteries (smaller than AAA) in series.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started