Any help on picking up the porting to pinetime?

Posted on
  • hi,
    previously i bought a p8b but it's a mirrored version,
    i installed espruino as in the eucwatch;
    except the mirror-ed screen, things seems working i.e. bootup, connect to private store of p8.

i got a sealed pinetime so cant do developement,
    i am consider buying a bangle.js v2 and forget about pinetime,
    or but a pinetime dev kit and try agian.

i saw from eucwath or else, the p8/pinetime espruino is just v2.14 vs latest v2.19,
    any one can comment is it hard to pick from what others have been done?
    i.e.; to install the ported espruino on pinetime,
    and update the espruino appropriately.

if i got money, i'll buy a bangle v2 + pinetime dev kit.
    i still wish espruino to happen on pinetime, as pinetime is cheaper, have color display, and i believe pinetime would be available for a longer time -- their development cycle is slow, and bangle.js v2, althought is a china tailor-ed model, may not be available at all times.

thank you.

ps: i got some 3 month college programming knowledge, and rely on gpt4.

• btw i am ok to pay small donation (USD25?) if someone could help in the critical step each time.
    I do want to make it happen. and will make them available openly. thx

• i got a sealed pinetime so cant do developement

not true, can be programmed over BLE too and you can of course take it apart if you prefer SWD

i saw from eucwath or else, the p8/pinetime espruino is just v2.14 vs latest v2.19,
    any one can comment is it hard to pick from what others have been done?

I'd say it is almost trivial but I may be wrong :-) For starting and learning the version is not important. By the time you learn enough (even with older version) you won't be asking that question. I did not update my builds mainly because nobody had issues with older version and it is probably the same reason for other builds you found. So feel free to jump in. Building your own build from source for any device is a good start.

And BTW Pinetime or P8 is 52832 based watch like Bangle 1. Bangle 2 is 52840 based so it has 4x the RAM (256 vs 64 KB) and 4x faster SPI for updating the display. There are also very cheap hackable 52840 watches like C17/Magic3 or QY03
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050053­73233740.html
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050026­88104850.html
    However I am not saying that P8 is not good enough, it is perfectly fine too.

• except the mirror-ed screen

And BTW this is one line fix in display initialization (which is done in javascript), maybe ask GPT4 (or google) for mirrored ST7789 if you haven't this already solved. Or search eucwatch repo for MADCTL.

• hi, thx for help, should be the following at bottom.

however you suggested that indeed bangle.js v2 is not "expensive", it's
    faster, 4x more ram more storage and just 3x price of pinetime.

i likely will now...

1. buy a bangle.js v2 recently

2. buy a slim ST link v2 with pogo pins to re-flash the p8b-mirror (others suggested me try flash the Ds-D6 bootloader, seems sort of bricked. anyway i wanna use it to try hands-on of SWD)

3. buy a pinetime dev kit later, to study the PIN numbers and make sure espruino runs on that, also make it happen on p8b-mirror

thank you

eucwatch:

P8/init/init.js
    JavaScript
    ·
    main

cmd([0x36, 0]); // MADCTL - This is an unrotated screen
    cmd([0x37,0,0]);
    // These 2 rotate the screen by 180 degrees
    //[0x36,0xC0], // MADCTL
    //[0x37,0,80], // VSCSAD (37h): Vertical Scroll Start Address of RAM

• p8 got 5 variants and i bought the troublesome one, bad experience.

i'll better pay more and buy the version that is used by most people (better support) and more consistent.

thx

• p8 got 5 variants and i bought the troublesome one, bad experience.

you would buy 'troublesome one' if you'd get one based on Goodix GR5515 CPU as some other people got, as long as it is nrf52832 they are just different :-)

i'll better pay more and buy the version that is used by most people

Oh, if you know which one it is (I don't) then how will you find shop that still sells it? It may be quite random what you get, most sellers even don't know (or care) what version they are shipping. That may be one advantage of Pinetime - it is basically a P8 but you pay extra to get same version as others.

• i mean i'll pay more to buy pinetime/bangle.js instead of buying from aliexpress. thanks

• @ccchan any luck with the pinetime i was thinking about doing something similiar

• Here's a post of another person trying the same thing
    https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/342466/?offset=25#comment16176898

• This is getting the starfield watch on a custom firmware.
    https://forum.espruino.com/conversations­/390005/#comment17152034

If i have tomorrow. I'll try playing around flashing my 52480DK board. If that goes well i'll try working with the pinetime.

• running espruino on pt+p8 is a low priority for me,
    as i already got a banglev2.
    my aim for pt/p8

1. proof of concept that espruino run on them
    2. test whether bangle store apps or diy apps can run on them

1:
    as you mentioned there already ppl demo-ed on p8, some for pt.
    TG pt users claim the button not working for pt on recovery. probably PIN number problem

if i have time, i'll first run it on p8b-mir (need sometime to tune the mirroring), then verify about PIN numbers and see if need to modify.

1. too far away from me.
      jeffmer etc seems use emulators to let bangle apps run on the ports, gordon suggest writing drivers for it. xxxx_bangle.c. let's see.
  • Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Any help on picking up the porting to pinetime?

Posted by Avatar for user156577 @user156577

Actions