• With the help of @tve ... it seems that the latest download of the esp-open-sdk brings in the ESP8266 SDK 1.5 release (note that 2.0 is now available). As such, when I tried to build Espruino, it used the ESP8266 SDK 1.5 release. Now, SDK 1.5 supplies a tool called "gen_appbin.py" which is used by the Espruino Make system. Unfortunately, SDK 1.5 added an extra required parameter to that command which, so far, we have been unable to find any documentation upon. The up-shot of this is that attempting to build Espruino against an ESP8266 SDK 1.5 (or later) results in the errors reported at the start of this thread.

As a community, we need to decide what we want to do next. My votes would be to attempt to get Espruino working with SDK 2.0 and skip SDK 1.5. This would then mean the following tasks:

1. Install and build the esp-open-sdk package
    2. Upgrade it to use SDK 2.0
    3. Correct/fix/change the Espruino Makefile to add the required parameters to gen_appbin
    4. Correct/fix/change the Espruino Makefile to use the "boot" file supplied by SDK 2.0.
    5. Possibly other steps ...

Does this sound about right to the community?

... Later ...
    I downloaded a virgin/fresh ESP8266 directly from the Espruino Github ... and this time I found the missing/extra parameter. Yet another case of me bungling something I'm afraid. I still find problems building against 1.5 SDK ... namely I had to change the reference of lwip_536 to lwip and change the boot file from boot_v1.4(b1) to boot_v1.5. But other than it ... it compiled cleanly.

... Later still ...
    It seems like @Wilberforce and @tve have already provided separate pull requests to update to SDK 1.5 and SDK 2.0 ... this looks promising.

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started