You are reading a single comment by @bluebie and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Wonderful! Thanks @Kolban! I'll head over to my craft lab tomorrow and give this a go! 💙

I'd like to see 9600 baud be the default on ESP8266, as it is more of a bootstrapping technology in my view - something you use to upload a telnet server if you want more speed or portability. It needs to be widely interoperable. Anything that makes the chip work with less stuff should be opt in - like could we have a function that sets the baud higher until reset? or some sort of autobauding like the chip's built in bootloader?

Considering the 9600 compatibility of the chip's bootloader, the entire espruino firmware could be installed through an audio jack, perhaps even just as an 8bit mono wav file (or flac if you're so inclined). If it were gzipped it would compress down quite well I think! Could be really cool, continuing the experiments with webpages talking to espruino devices, to be able to flash the firmware itself right off a tablet or even an iPod. Something I'd be curious to look in to for sure.

About

Avatar for bluebie @bluebie started