You are reading a single comment by @tve and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I hate writing tests but I'm a big fan of CI :-) What is the test strategy for Espruino? I see the tests directory and they seems to be all JS tests that are independent of hardware? It looks like the travis job only does builds but not tests? Is there a reason the travis builds are not uploaded to S3? Would setting something like this up be of interest? (I use this all the time at work and it can have an amazing effect on productivity.)

What about tests on the embedded systems themselves? I think the following would be awesome, but some work:

• a small test PCB for each board that someone cares about that has a small number of standard components, such as a i2c device, an spi device, a 1-wire temp sensor, and maybe a loop-back from a PWM pin through a low-pass RC filter to an ADC input
    • a test suite that exercises these components in a basic manner
    • a test runner on an RPi or ODROID that takes git web hooks and can run the test after travis has built the binary
      I'd be willing to do work on this for the esp8266 and the emw3165 if that ever really gets off the ground. Thoughts?

NB: in terms of peripherals I was thinking really simple. For example, a small digital I/O expander could be used with some pins looped back so the test suite can output a 1 on one pin and read it back on another, and then output a 0 and read it back and declare victory.

About