You are reading a single comment by @Kolban and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Do you have any ideas for new projects? How are the boys over at smart.js (https://smartjs.io/) funding their projects?

It seems to me (as an outsider in the IoT world) that there are many burgeoning companies that are setting themselves up as IoT and Cloud based technologies. While I personally "like" tinkering with home automation thingies ... I suspect that the winner will be some industry broad standard with which "appliances" will embrace and come pre-shipped/enabled ... as opposed to smart plugs and the like.

From where I sit, I'm not sure that a revenue stream on Espruino boards is going to necessarily grow into the future. I base that on the notion that the cost of boards is tumbling and the availability of environments for programmers to write code upon is increasing. Combine that with the moore's law of technology increase and "secret sauce" of an embedded custom written JavaScript may be displaced by "commodity" JavaScript runtimes once the base board has RAM and CPU to accommodate. For example, in my Java world, the latest Java 8 has a first class JavaScript engine built into the JAVA JVM ... so one can write JavaScript AND Java running on a JVM ... and since those JVMs are being ported all over the place ... it drags a common JavaScript environment with it.

In my work life, I tend to think about what can I do to delight customers NEXT ... so the challenge is always to look ahead 6 months, 1 year and 5 years and attempt to predict what they might want based upon all the input I hear. Many times though I don't LIKE what I hear because it is divergent from what we thought the direction was going to be or our competition are stronger in those areas. It is then that we have to be smarter and go to more heroic lengths ... and sometimes that takes us in directions we hadn't anticipated.

At those times, I get a large cup of coffee and re-read "Who moved my cheese?".

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started