You are reading a single comment by @RandyHarmon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Sorry if I've missed this detail in existing communication. I'm interested in how variable names are stored (with its data?) and matched from executing code. I'm assuming if Espruino uses a linked list for variables, that a variable name from executing source has to be found in the JsVar structure?

I'm particularly curious about the string-length overheads (on mem & CPU both) during execution of code having variable names, and what optimizations may already be in use or available (e.g. pre-munging var names with Esprima, or ???).

Another angle on optimization (if relevant) is code-path frequency, in that (assuming a given variable name is evaluated faster if shorter), we could rewrite most-commonly-ACCESSED vars with the shortest names (it's hard to think Esprima could help much with that)

Another question has to do with namespacing of vars. It seems to me that an object global.JUNK = { foo: 'bar' } implies a variable 'foo' in JUNK's namespace (yes?) which puts an interesting twist on potentially rewriting 'foo'. Seems like JUNK has a linked list of its properties, but again with the variable-name question.

Finally, if I have obj1 = { foo: "bar" }; obj2 = obj1, then these two variables both point to the same object. Probably the answer about var names will demonstrate how this is implemented too, but if not, that extra info would be interesting too.

Thanks in advance.

R

About

Avatar for RandyHarmon @RandyHarmon started