You are reading a single comment by @Cale and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Working on integrating a tool box for the work place that will provide some accountability to the user of the tool. The idea is to use the PICO, a MS146-2G Slot Reader (ID cards), a few magnetic holds and slew of TI CD4021BE. The drawers or cabinets will be locked by the magnetic holds, a user will use his ID card to gain access and remove tools from the drawer. Once closed the PICO will scan through and note what tools were removed. I plan to upload the information to a google spreadsheet with the ESP8266 of which I will build some code to send a text reminder to the users to return the tools at the end of the day. Here is the test code for the CD4021 so far.

SPI1.setup({sck:A5,miso:A6,baud:9500});/­/pins 10, 3 respectively
    function loop(){
      digitalWrite(B1,1); // to pin 9 on chip, this allows the chip to collect its data for 20 milliseconds
      setTimeout(function(){
        digitalWrite(B1,0); // turn pin 9 off then........
        console.log("register 1 is "+(SPI1.send([0x00])>>>0).toString(2)); //collect data from first chip //I am not 100% on the 0x00 because I've tried other values and it still returns the same.
        console.log("register 2 is "+(SPI1.send([0x00])>>>0).toString(2)); //collect data from second chip
      },20);
    }
    setInterval(loop,1000);

if CD4021 gpio 1 is on return 1, if gpio 2 is on returns 10, 3-->100, all three on returns 111, etc.

Here is a diagram of how the chips are put together. Thanks to the work of the people at arduino.cc was I able to get this part together as some of this would be way over my head. Ill try to get some pictures on here as the project progresses. Thanks

About