You are reading a single comment by @Mike and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLNyAVas­pyo

What:

• Espruino Pico
    • ESP8266
    • WS2812B (Neopixel)

The Espruino Pico is seriously awesome. I was able to develop a working proof of concept in maybe 10 minutes(?) thanks to pretty good documentation, and spent the next few hours iterating on the design.

I originally used HTTP on the Pico, but I felt that the 400-700ms latency hurt user experience too much, and incomplete requests would cause the system to freeze. I ended up using raw sockets (with Node.js as an intermediary), which significantly improved reliability and response time, and I'm pretty happy with the performance.

There's still a lot of work left to do. I plan on making the interface stateful, and want to configure WiFi host AP on the Espruino, so it'll be easier to change the WiFi client credentials later. I also need to find a more elegant way to present the lights.

Other notes:

• I had to connect CH_PD to v3.3 and add a 1µF capacitor in order to communicate with the ESP8266
    • I later bought a ESP8266 breadboard adapter (in video) for convenience, and it came with a 10µF cap.
About