• I tried enabling and disabling throttling in the IDE settings and the conclusion is that the problem only appears when I do not have throttling enabled. I will keep using the bluetooth connection for a while with throttling enabled and see how it goes.

the problem was that I received garbage when downloading code into the espruino, or I got only part of the code. sometimes garbage would be printed on the computer screen (left window in the IDE) while I was downloading.
    sometimes I would not be able to communicate using bluetooth at all, even if it connected. finally the espruino was so messed up it did not respond at all. I had to reflash with the latest espruino version (I already had the latest version, but this was the only way to restore contact, using bluetooth or USB cable).
    after reflashing over USB, unplugging and then powering from external 5V it as possible to again communicate, also with bluethooth connection. now the IDE will stay throttled until I find out if this is the solution. the thing is that I just replaced the bluetooth dongle (again) it could be part of the solution. I have to try other dongles when I get time.
    thanks for the help!

About