You are reading a single comment by @Manxome and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • And I thought software was complicated, sigh...

My F401 Nucleo has a sticker on the back that says "MB1136 C-01" and has only the X1 (8MHz) crystal.
    My F411 Nucleo says "C-02 and has X1 & X2 Crystals.
    I understand that the X1 crystal actually belongs to the ST-Link portion of the board but could theoretically be used by the STM32F4x1 if configured properly.

What does "MCO" stand for?
    @asez73, your F401 appears to run at 84MHz in your testing, yes?

Not oddly, I am still somewhat confused. Are these the 2 possibilities?

1. C-01 board, no external crystals used, no external crystals present except for X1 (8MHz) on ST-Link board, uses internal clock, runs out of the box at 16MHz, can be configured for 84MHz, but not as accurate as if it had/used an external crystal, and actual speed can also vary with temperature.
    2. C-02 board, has X1 and X2, uses X2 (32.768KHz), runs at 84MHz out of the box, very accurate within the (fairly broad) temperature range.

I suppose adding X3 (and caps etc.) would allow you to break off the ST-Link if desired and still use an external (8MHz) crystal.

If I added X2 and the caps and moved around the resistors, my F401 Nucleo would boot up at 84MHz using external X2 crystal, yes? No software initialization needed.

About

Avatar for Manxome @Manxome started