bluebie

Member since Nov 2015 • Last active Jan 2017
  • 1 conversations
  • 18 comments

Visual artist focusing on 3D VFX and 3D print for prop making and robotics/animatronics for live action and stop motion. Previously lead developer of the Micronucleus ATTiny85 bootloader project. Find me with the same name on twitter, thingiverse, tumblr, etc

Most recent activity

• in General

Fair enough

• in General

@Wilberforce @user59035 was the one wanting TouchOSC. I'm interested in Art-Net, using open torrent trackers to coordinate direct p2p communication between devices in different buildings UDP's a lot easier to do hole punching through NATs with than TCP, interested in using UDP broadcasts to do device discovery on host computers, and UDP broadcasts allow unmodified wireless APs to deliver realtime data unreliably, so messages don't get queued up causing latency, which can be super useful for robotics - if you were making a quadcopter for example, it's a terrible outcome if your control packets get backed up and the router delays sending up to date messages so it can redeliver irrelevant old ones first.

"If my company" again no, I'm a nonworker due to severe health problems. This is only hobby stuff. My entire income is welfare payments. Part of why I don't want to use the Pico is that it's relatively quite expensive for someone with very low income.

• in General

I am wondering if anyone has made any progress towards udp support? I keep coming up against projects that require it, and falling back to NodeMCU or Arduino C just to get UDP support really sucks.

• in General

Looks like the Espressif SDK update has some UDP transmission fixes, so maybe that flow control issue is resolved now? http://bbs.espressif.com/viewtopic.php?f­=46&t=1442

• in ESP8266

I don't think this is a good solution for Espruino, but this I2S DMA WS2812 driver is really neat: https://github.com/cnlohr/esp8266ws2812i­2s

• in General

For my uses, I don't care if packets get dropped, and wont be sending at a high rate, but that is good to know.

• in General

My.. company.. heh. alright. looks like I may need to get back in to firmware dev! You may get a pull request for UDP stuff some day ^_^

• in General

I'd like to add my voice: having UDP support is extremely important to me, on the ESP8266 platform. I need to support Art-Net 2, which runs entirely over UDP, and I need to use UDP broadcasts to efficiently implement a robotics project in the near term.

• in General

WiFi is fairly commonly run over 20-30km ranges with bridge devices like the NanoBridge, for point to point data links. The radios in those devices aren't much more powerful than a common home wifi router. There's certainly no distance limitation on WiFi to make it unsuitable over long distances.

• in General

ESP8266 modules with pcb trace antennas have a range of about 0.35km, but tests on youtube indicate you can get a little over 4km range between an esp8266 module with trace antenna and a Ubiquiti NanoBridge M2 access point - these are simply fairly powerful wifi APs with a directional antenna. Some ESP8266 boards include a u/fl coaxial antenna connector, so you can plug in an external 2.4ghz antenna. If you put a directional antenna on each end, I bet you'd get some truly awesome range. That's how I'd try and do it.

Have you thought about using regular RC radio tech, like the kind used for remote control cars and stuff? It's quite resistant to interference, long range, and available very cheaply on sites like hobbyking. You might not need any microcontrollers at all!

Actions