cappy

Member since Feb 2015 • Last active Aug 2016
  • 4 conversations
  • 10 comments

I am an old bastard-69 but have always loved electronics since I was a kid. The engineer has always been in me; but, I have never had much math talent so I have been relegated to the verbal subjects. Because I have ADD & am dyslexic-it can, at times, hamper my progress in attaining goals I'm interested in. And one of the things about ADD-it gives me a burning desire to know about EVERYTHING.
So what happens-jack of all trades-master of none. I have been a NYSE stock broker, deck hand on commercial coastal vessels, sailing teacher, went to Law school when I was 42 & practiced law for 5 years in Maine. Too honest to make much money, and so I went back to electronic where I have been a tech for over 30 years. The only trouble with electronics as a way of making a living is that it is boom or bust. Companies-Wang,DEC, Lucent (10 years) HP Medical products . Here one day-gone tomorrow! But the Maker Movement is fascinating and will herald a change in the way we do things. I never thought humans would ever become cyborgs; but it's happening before our eyes!

Most recent activity

• in News

What you mean is
    YOUR life has moved to the Cloud. Embedded projects have NOT per se moved to the Cloud.

• in News

As I had mentioned when I first joined this forum-I come-more or less-from the hardware side of things-especially embedded. What I am finally seeing is the marriage of software on the embedded or microcontroller side along with the software of the PC-mostly but not all(in the multiple browsers or IDE's on a PC that talks an interpreter aboard the small embedded board(Espruino/Tessel. The following article (especially the end where the Espruino is talked about a lot and points where we are evolving to really fast! Extreme fascinating information for those so inclined!

https://medium.com/@slsoftworks/javascri­pt-world-domination-af9ca2ee5070

• in General

I fixed problem-thanks LED not Led

• in General

Received brand new Espruino board, connected it up to my win7 x64 through and with Chrome App. It connects up on Com port 17. I was also able to get it reflashed with latest version of Firmware . Go to Tutoial within IDE-first line put in 1+2-next line returns 3

Next line asks you to write >digitalWrite(Led1,1) supposed to light up led 1 red light on board;

get: >digitalWrite(Led1,1)
    =undefined
    Uncaught error: invalid pin!
    at line 1 col 20
    digitalWrite(Led1,1)

and the red light on board does not light up

one time I did get it to light up, and then when I unplugged it and reconnected it- the red light started blinking again I guess because it reloaded from board? Help! I closed down computer rebooted same problem Help please!

• in General

Gordon- I think what you are doing is fabulous, and I really appreciate how much effort you are putting into this terrific product, and am excited about what you have in the pipeline! Your personal effort shows through in the number of projects for the Espruino on the site. And your out of the box thinking is great. Plus-I was really glad to see you not over charging customers with add on "modules" at $25 a pop as I have seen from the Stamp to one of your competitors. Keep up the great work!

• in General

Thanks-Dr.Arzzy again for your thoughtful replies. Turns out, we're neighbors. I live in York, ME, just over the border from Portsmouth, NH. I couldn't agree with you more that Gordon is constantly improving his product. That was a very attractive feature to me, and I can see that he is a very thoughtful person.
    I am very drawn to RGB LED lights & the Espruino is a terrific way to proceed. So again; I am excited. I started with PICs, looked at the Basic Stamp, then the Arduino. I have a bad learning disability, which has prevented me from taking programming courses, as I am mildly dyslexic and would fall behind very quickly. I can not figure out what it is about electronics that I find so fascinating. The fact that you can send intelligence through the air invisibly almost at the speed of light, and, yet-in the case of a wave, you need a physical object(antenna) that is a mathematical analog in physical size will always blow my mind ! I am 69 but have never lost that boyish sense of wonder!

• in General

I have an Espruino coming tomorrow. In the reference section of this Web site I see "unofficial boards'. From what I can see-what they seem to have in common with the Espruino is they have the ARM MCU along with onboard ADC's & other goodies.

I bought this Espruino board for the main reason that I thought it would be a lot easier to use Jacascript for programming an MCU board than say, as an example, an Arduino or any of its derivatives, for designing gadjets or what have you.

My fall down or weakness has always programming-not hardware. IMO-opinion BTW-the Teensy units designed by Paul Stoffgren are the bomb for small MCU boards and in terms of horsepower-run circles around the Arduous-especially the Teensy3.1. But, again, my problem is learning to program & Javascript, as I have already said in another post, looks extremely promising for programming dunces such as myself.

I think I have finally figured it out. Is it so that what i am in part buying here is the Javascript interpreter which is actually Firmware that is loaded on the Espruino board. It looks like it can also be loaded on the unofficial boards listed under the Reference section. Is that how it works? I absolutely don't mind buying this board, the Firmware(JavaScript interpreter), and the the very nice Chrome Browser IDE. I know Gordon is very famiilar with ARM ST boards. It would very cool to see a Teensy3.1 become an additional "unofficial board!

Actions