tom.gidden

Member since Jan 2014 • Last active Feb 2021
  • 11 conversations
  • 93 comments

Most recent activity

• 31 comments
  • in Interfacing

Hi @TomWS! Did you progress this driver any further? It’d be interesting to merge it into the main tree; I have a few ePaper displays gathering dust that I’m intending to do something with before too long, and would very much like to see about getting partial updates working.

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

I’ll have to update too!

Incidentally, I just noticed this new message on my iPad... must be something in the latest iOS as I haven’t done anything to my Puck for months — if it ain’t broke...

Any ideas?

• in Bangle.js

I have had some problems connecting with Web Bluetooth on Chrome after a while that just requires a restart of Chrome. As it's often my main browser, this can be a pain.

So, try installing Chrome Canary just for Bangle / Espruino so it can be restarted easily. I've taken care not to install any extensions or do Google log-in on Canary, so there are no bookmarks or other distractions. That way, I'm less likely to accidentally use Canary for other things.

• in JavaScript

Incidentally, @Gordon... any chance of a double-buffered 240 x 240 x 1bpp display mode? That, combined with the suggested composeImage() function using Flash-backed images would allow for some very neat tricks. Colour is overrated. :)

(It'd preclude widgets, I guess... unless support was added for monochrome widgets somehow)

• in JavaScript

At the moment, my beebclock draws the face and the hour and minute hands from scratch to an in-memory image every minute. Then it draws that image to the screen every second and then draws a line for the second hand. The only part that flickers is the second hand, which I think is acceptable. Otherwise, I think the power drain would just be too high, redrawing it all offscreen every second.

The problem is that the 240x240 buffer is a memory hog even at 1bpp. Fortunately for my watch face I only wanted 1bpp, so I can just about manage to do it in available memory.

1. The unchanging watch face in Flash
    2. The watch face blitted from (1) with hour/minute hands, updated every minute in Flash
    3. The in-memory offscreen buffer blitted with (2) and second hand added, and blitted to screen every second.

• in JavaScript

As we can drawImage() direct from Flash thanks to Storage.read() memory-mapping Flash, then other than performance and (I guess) rewrite cycle wear, is there any reason not to use Storage for storing offscreen buffers?

For example, if I have a complicated clock-face redraw every minute (hour and minute hand update), I can Storage.write() it, and then drawImage() it every second during that minute and just slap the second hand on quickly.

...?

• in Bangle.js

Aha... always happens minutes after posting to the forums. I managed to get in and reset all using a different laptop with a full reboot, restart of Chrome, and sacrificing a small goat on the altar of Nordic Semi.

• in Bangle.js

I'm having this same problem right now. It was working last night, but it's stuck "Searching for GPS time" now.

I've DFU'ed 2.05 release, and so forth, no luck. I've booted with various combinations of BTN1 and BTN2 held down, as described in https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js#reset­ting-without-loading-any-code

Best I've managed is with BTN1 held through "====", getting to the logo screen with -> Bluetooth showing, but can't get it to speak to anything yet.

I've still got a few things to try.

Of course, I literally just posted my other Bangle to my Dad about half an hour ago, to give him something to do during lockdown. :(

Actions