user155558

Member since May 2023 • Last active Jul 2023
  • 2 conversations
  • 15 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Thanks for the offer, yes, then let's wait 1 or 2 weeks until you can send it with the backlight assembly.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks a lot! I have already placed the order.

• in Bangle.js

Is it still possible to obtain a replacement screen for Bangle.js 2? Mine got some problems (I suspect due to humidity). The backlight wouldn't be that important, I could reuse the old one.

• in Bangle.js

I think, I have made an interesting observation:

I'm greping now for XON, XOFF, UART and 'characteristic write' in adb logcat.

When everything is working fine, I can see many lines of 'characteristic write' writing to the UART. In between that, I see some flow control messages sending XOFF and then XON quite quickly after that.

So far, the timeout issue has reproduced itself only once while adb was connected. In that case, I saw XOFF being sent as one of the last messages with no XON following. The lines 'characteristic write' stop after that, the Bangle goes to timeout, but the http requests are still handled and logged by gadgetbridge.

I'm wondering whether the issue is that in case that a bluetooth connection loss falls exactly into the time between XOFF and XON, the XON gets lost and this is what freezes the communication gadgetbridge -> bangle. The XON is possibly never repeated. The larger the data volume, the more flow control kicks in and the more likely it is to run into this issue. Maybe a possible solution would be to send XON automatically on every fresh bluetooth (re-)connect?

Another observation: I'm printing the exception message of Bangle.http(...) to the display and when the Bluetooth goes out of range, I always get a "Timeout" exception first, which changes after a few seconds to "Bluetooth not connected". So it seems that the Bangle needs some seconds to understand that the Bluetooth connection has been fully lost, it doesn't realize it instantaneously. I'm wondering whether this could be the moment, during which XON gets lost.

• in Bangle.js

I had checked already with another device and I have seen a similar behaviour. These are the devices which I am using:

• Blackview A80
    • Samsung Galaxy A22

What I haven't checked on the Samsung yet, is whether the find bangle is also not working. I'll let you know.

• in Bangle.js

Hi Gordon,

thanks for your quick reply!

I will connect it again to adb and watch out for XON/XOFF or something about the write characteristic. I'll let you know.

Yes, after about 20% of automatic reconnects it doesn't work at all and can only be restored by a manual reconnect. Sometimes it is necessary to wait for 30s in the disconnected state before reconnecting and sometimes gadgetbridge even needs to be restarted. If the issue appears after a reconnect, the timeouts start to happen immediately after the reconnect, there is no time in between, where it works.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks for the link! That is interesting information.

However, I have indeed always been using the official Android Integration, which should handle this automatically. Here are some new insights, which have a learned in the meantime:

• The strange characters are definitively gone after removing Console.log(). The stability improved, but the issue definitively still occurs.
    • The timeout issue can also be reproduced with just the Hello World server, calling it once per second.
    • I have been calling E.getErrorFlags() regularly to see if an error gets set at the time when the issue occurs. This was not the case. Is it correct that in this way I can exclude that I get issues due to too much data?
    • When the timeout issue on the Bangle is present, I can still see in adb that all requests are properly executed by gadgetbridge and the the responses are in the adb logs too.
    • While the timeout issue is present, I have made an interesting reproducible observation: When I press the "Find Bangle" button in gadgetbridge, nothing happens. On the contrary, when I activate "Find phone" on the Bangle, the phone rings. Under normal conditions, both ways work, but with the issue being present, the direction gadgetbridge->Bangle is not working.

The last observation makes me think, whether it is possible that in my case the UART is sometimes somehow down completely, but only in one direction. Does this make any sense? The bangle goes to timeout because it never gets the response, although gadgetbridge has the response and thinks that it is sending it. But I'm not sure how to track this down further.

• in Bangle.js

Just a short update:

Within the error handler, I had been calling Console.log(... and very likely, the ignored characters were coming from that and your suspicion that they are IDE characters makes a lot of sense. The characters actually have no direct relation to the issue of running into the timeout error with no https server timeout. I have removed the Console.log now.

After removing that, it's not only that the IDE characters are gone, I surprisingly also observe that the overall stability improved a lot and the timeout issue happens more rarely now. It still does happen though, but it is much harder to reproduce now.

Does it make sense that printing debug output may somehow confuse the communication with gadgetbridge and one should just avoid printing any human readable stuff there?

• in Bangle.js

Thanks - that is really interesting and a very important insight that these chars actually have a meaning.

The webpage is a json string from my internal home automation system and contains <2000 ascii chars.

For better reproducibility and to check, whether the size plays a role, I'm now making a test with the "Hello World!" test server https://pur3.co.uk/hello.txt and I'll report whether the issue also occurs with this very short string.

I have already realized that it's a battery issue, my battery life is around 2 days with 1 request/sec. I'll leave it this way for stress testing, but you are right and I should decrease the rate in favor of battery life at some point...

Actions