adjtm

Member since Apr 2023 • Last active Mar 2024
  • 4 conversations
  • 40 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Hi avanc.

@user156811 was asking for a Bangle.js 1 to buy for development testing purposes. I don't know if he already got one.

• in Bangle.js

On the charger front, I'm surprised you're having issues with it coming off - someone else complained recently, but until that point I hadn't really heard of anyone having issues

I have never complained because it is something that I can live with (and nothing you can done to fix it). But the connector is very bad: the connector in the watch side is not recessed, the magnets are too weak and the connector too tall. The connector twists and stops making connection with just a gentle movement of the cable or the watch. A USB-C is my ideal option, but it would take a lot of internal space.

• in Bangle.js

Do you know that you can change the screen orientation? that way you can have the button away from your hand. 'Settings'->'System'->'LCD'->'Rotate'

That's a nice suggestion, I will think about it. But pressing by mistake could also happen with the sleeve or whatever. It also needs new muscle memory for pressing the button.

• in Bangle.js

Looking for the Bangle.js 2 silicon cover side effects, I only found this conversation about charging:

https://forum.espruino.com/conversationsĀ­/376087/

What other side effects the cover has? Specially I'd like to know:

1. Button. I very often press the button accidentally while running (for example while I put on my globes). Is it more difficult to press the button by accident? Is it more difficult to press the button on purpose?
    2. HRM. Does the cover affect the heart rate readings?
  • in Bangle.js

It looks nice. Did you use a pink Bangle.js 2 or a black one? Did you used hot glue? I suppose that the cover would also work as protection for the watch.

• 1 comment
  • in Bangle.js

I have been a happy user of a Bangle.js 2 for a year now. Both Bangle.js version of Gadgetbridge and the App Manager (https://banglejs.com/apps/) are nice.

One aspect that I don't think looks very professional is the question about updates. Knowing that Gordon does so much work in development and replying in the forums, I'd like to make some suggestions that I hope don't require much work and will decrease the work in the forums about problems with the firmware and apps that are old or incompatible with the installed firmware. I propose:

1. That the App Manager (as called in Gadgetbridge or bangle.js apps loader webpage) changes to the "My Apps" tab when there are any updates. It would be better if the apps that are going to be upgraded are more easily spotted (like using a yellow background). I would be perfect if Gadgetbridge could show a different icon for the "App Manager" that indicates that updates are available when apps or firmware updates are available.

2. That a popup shows in the "My Apps" tab when a a new stable firmware version exists. It could say that upgrading the firmware is recommended before upgrading any apps. It should allow installing from the pop up or exiting the popup. The development app repository could show any new firmware even RC (about this latter) or cutting edge versions. The "Firmware Update" "app" could be maintained for manual selection and installation of firmware versions.

3. That an RC version of the firmware is uploaded and announced in the forum (with the Changelog) so people could test it a couple of days before a stable version is uploaded. The forum message could also say for which bugs people affected are urged to update to the RC, in addition to anyone wanting to test it. I usually use cutting edge versions of the firmware, but I don't upgrade to every new version. With the announcement of RC versions I could upgrade to every of them and test the things I usually do with the Bangle.js 2 (or even things I don't usually do but could be affected by the changes reported in the Changelog).

For the points 1 and 2 I could tried to do them myself after returning from vacation.

And just as a question: Why is the advanced option "Automatically reload watch after app App Loader actions (removes "Hold button" prompt)" not the default? Any problem with this being automatic?

Thanks for any opinion or feedback.

• in Bangle.js

I only use the Bangle.js 2 for running or hiking. I don't like to wear a watch, specially at night, so I don't track my sleep. For step counting, I do enough training that the rest of my walking activity doesn't count much. I don't think that the support of the notifications is good enough to overtake my dislike of wearing the watch.

1. GPS: It's a bit annoying that the AGPS data lasts for just a few hours, so I download it just before going for the training session. With AGPS it takes like 5 seconds to get a lock, it seems to help that I only use the GPS network. It has a great precision while running outdoors. After the session I download the GPX files generated by the Recored App and I visualize them with the OsmAnd app in the Android phone.

2. HRM: Because I do my training with the excellent Polar H10 sensor, I'm not too worried about the internal HR precision. I would like to help in improving the algorithm anyway. For tracking the training sessions I use the proprietary Polar Apps, which are not great. I should start using open source apps for this also.

3. Apps: The Run/Run+ apps are a bit limited, but I use a slightly modified version of the former. I'd like to write a more complete app for running/hiking but no major work for this so far.

4. The Espruino framework is very nice, the main reason why I chose this watch (other alternatives are not even close). The hardware is good enough for a running watch except for only having one button, which is also of bad quality (sometimes I don't manage to start or stop the timer at the first try, very annoying for sprint reps).

• in Bangle.js

I think that my banglejs2 synchronizes to my android phone's time when connecting to Gadgetbridge. The A-GPS data tip was for getting a GPS fix. I suppose that you need "GPS Time" to sync to the GPS time or "GPS auto time" to synchronize every time you get a GPS fix.

Actions