MichaelS

Member since Feb 2023 • Last active Feb 2023
  • 0 conversations
  • 9 comments

Most recent activity

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

Agree - it's good to have the latest.

FWIW here's the package lettering on the chip - is it the same as your test one?

ESP8266EX
    POVV01

I understand from quick research, there's some variation on the package labelling (whether it makes a difference however).

Thanks alot Gordon. I indeed have the blue ESP01 board. I tried again the IDE method of flashing that board, grounded GPIO0 and momentarily grounded the reset pin, and I got the same result in post #15 above (i.e. interrupted write). So I reviewed that article, and found I could successfully flash the v2.0.0 firmware via the previously-described process using the espflasher application, with the 4 files each placed at respective addresses as pointed out in that sevart article (Installing the Non-Boot Firmware section) you pointed out. Thanks alot for locating that article.

I'm wondering in the IDE update whether you're applying the v2.0.0 update as per the info in that section (for that ESP01 board).

if I do the following:

• set GPIO0 pin to GND on the ESP01 board
    • clicked the firmware update button (firmware downloads)
    • when the IDE reports: syncing.., I ground the ESP01 reset pin, then the IDE reports writing block x / 1024 (where x increments)
    • blue LED flashed on ESP01 while the block value increments
    • when it gets to 512, the process bombs out with the following IDE message:

The Firmware update failed: Unexpected response {"dir":1,"cmd":3,"len":2,"data":"\u0001\­b"}

@Gordon, what do you think?

I just tried flashing via the IDE again - here's what I did:

• I checked the current version via IDE, and it reported AT version: 0.25.0.0, SDK version 1.1.2, Compile time Jun 17 2015
    • set GPIO0 pin to GND on the ESP101 board
    • clicked the firmware update button
    • noticed the IDE reported: syncing..
    • noticed the blue LED on the ESP01 flashing
    • after about 10s the IDE reported: "The Firmware update failed: No response to sync".

BTW I have wondered about those later versions which appear to contain a boot loader and other code, so I guess the IDE is only loading the needed part.

I'll keep looking into the later version as an experiment.

I recall reading that the v1 shims (which I have) didn't include those pins for boot load, so I had to ground GPIO0 and then momentarily ground the reset pin for the process to work with the espFlasher. When I tried the same process with the IDE, writing could only get halfway before it crashed out with an error message. At the time, I didn't record the message, but if it's helpful I can try that again to reproduce it. To confirm, is it correct that in order to flash the ESP01 via the IDE it's required to ground GPIO0 and then momentarily ground the reset pin, or is it sufficient to just ground the GPIO0 (which is what I recall reading, but that didn't work either as reported before). Thanks for the v2 info, I'll give that a go later.

The link associated with 0.40.0.0 went to the wifi device page, and not to a firmware file, so I've not tried it (but looking at the files page, I guess this is it: http://www.espruino.com/files/ESP8266_AT­_1_5_4.zip). It has the AiThinker files in there (AiThinker_ESP8266_DIO_8M_8M_20160615_V1­.5.4; AiThinker_ESP8266_DIO_32M_32M_20160615_V­1.5.4) , but these seem to refer to higher memory chips (which I guess are not compatible with ESP-01)?

Thanks @Gordon. I did originally try that since it was recommended, but I couldn't get it to work. After I shorted GPIO0 to GND, the process seemed to start, but it failed prematurely with a 'sync error' (or similar, so I can't recall the precise error). I also tried shorting the reset pin, but I think that's unnecessary/undesireable(?), but when I did that I seemed to get further (the block writing started) but it crashed out about half way (at around block 500). This is when I gave up using the IDE, and opted for the "Espruino as a makeshift USB-TTL adaptor" which eventually worked for me. I was wondering whether the '0.25.0.0 FW version' is the best one to use, but I guess it is since the 512kB ESP01 modules are not compatible, and I think those are the ones that were given out during the Pico kickstarter campaign?

I am hoping for a new wifi-capable Espruino model in the future (maybe with an antenna connector option) as I found the ESP-01/shim approach a bit fiddly especially if a firmware update is required (but totally understandable as that was what's available at the time).

I had the same issue as @tarmo888 (I also had no ESP_FLASH_BLOCK, so maybe that was a typo, as it's not in the v2 esptool either) but I found a solution (on Windows) after a couple of hours..

I've come back to my Pico after some years (kickstarter backer supplied with ESP8266 & v1 shim). I soldered the ESP8266 & shim to the Pico, and it originally worked. The firmware versions reported the 0018000902-AI03 version, so I wanted to upgrade, but no matter what I tried (via the IDE or esptool) I couldn't get it to work. I think I completely clobbered the driver by trying require("Storage").eraseAll() and then reset() since re-running firmware versions reported nothing.

So here's what worked for me - the tool espFlasher mentioned on the page in the last link on Gordon's instructions worked (I used the 64-bit version). The 0.25.0.0 FW version could be loaded provided the "Connect to Espruino" instructions on Use Espriuno (I ignored the digitalWrite lines since those are for the new shim), enabled the ESP8266 bootloader as per the instruction, and instead of running esptool.py, run the espFlasher with baud set to 115200 (via Advanced tab). After restarting, and trying the firmware versions routines, you'll see the 0.25.0.0 version reported.

• in General

Just posting that I also had this problem (on Windows 10). The key observation is the FS version of the virtual COM port does not appear (since it's not detected, whereas another port is detected when using the board normally). If you look in device manger, you can see an error icon next to the COM port when trying to flash.

So I tried the driver that Gordon suggested, and reporting that the solution is correct - but you do need to pay attention to the driver installation instructions. It's not enough to install the installer, but (from the readme file), you do need to go into the installation directory and run another installer (in my case Win8/dpinst_amd64.exe) and then it was ok.

Thanks again Gordon.

Actions