Zinke89

Member since Jan 2023 • Last active Feb 2023
  • 2 conversations
  • 11 comments

Just a thinker.

Most recent activity

• in Electronics

@Gordon as a concept, would it be possible to use something like Firebase via NPM package to establish real-time connection via the Javascript interface? In which case, technically could act on “real-time” updates, for example, pass a command to a function within the MDBT42Q, connected through BLE to light up an LED? Basically use Firebase or any teatime database as a command center.

Can BLE share Internet with the host device? I would imagine so.

• in Electronics

Thanks @Gordon that was definitely my initial question, so a stand-alone application would have to be responsible for connecting and pushing the updates. Makes sense, I was imagining a scenario where the onboard software, as long as it has a BLE connection to any phone, would be able to connect and pull the latest code, even if that meant some remote security feature.

In my case, there is no app, it’s Bluetooth based with a bunch of neopixel functionality and just a connection to a phone/device for sound playback of music, etc.. in this case I figured, what if I wanted to adjust the neopixels to do something else. In this case I couldn’t do that without physical access to the device.

• in Electronics

@fanoush I have a few MDBT42Q. Makes sense from a security perspective, although there are other security features like passkey, connectable: false, etc.. just seems like it would be a great application for remote updates, that boot loader mode is definitely the wrench in the plan.

Also, not particularly taking about firmware updates, rather, what if I wanted to for example, extend or change functionality by writing more robust or feature rich Javascript and pushing it out to all of my devices.

• in Electronics

Is this possible or on a road map?

What if I have 50 devices which run on the same code, is there a possibility that live updates could be pushed in bulk to these devices when they’re connected to a host device, ie: phone? Or would you have to essentially flash each device individually with no possibility of future updates if it’s not in your possession?

• in Electronics

@fanoush coming back to this. I just realized the receivers are Bluetooth 5.0 and they DO support BLE, so maybe some light at the end of the tunnel here. In this case, I could likely use nrf52 to communicate between the modules, I guess it just comes down to figuring out what commands need to be sent in order to have the receiver interact, ie: play, pause, next.

• in Electronics

Thanks @Jean-Philippe_Rey, I’m realizing that now, unfortunate. A wireless solution to decouple control from receiving just sounded like a worthwhile project, back to the drawing board.

• in Electronics

Thanks @fanoush, guess I have to rethink this model. I know there are some Bluetooth receivers out there that have buttons already embedded/soldered to the board, maybe that’s the play, obviously sounds better (and more fun to build) to decouple the receiver from the controller and have them communicate wirelessly, but I guess we’re not quite there yet.

I appreciate the back and forth, a sanity check goes a long way.

• in Electronics

@Jean-Philippe_Rey thanks for your reply, you’re exactly correct, my issue is that both the Bluetooth receiver/speakers AND the MDBT42Q are contained within the same enclosure. So the UX becomes odd to have the user connect to 2 devices in order to use one device.

Actions