Member since Dec 2022 • Last active Mar 2023
  • 8 conversations
  • 20 comments

Most recent activity

• started
    • 3 comments
  • in Projects

:)

There is example data now, so you don't have to go through the lengthy process of building and running it to see what the end result is:

https://gitlab.com/notEvil/cyclometer/-/­tree/master/python

If you have any troubles or questions, please let me know by creating an issue there

• in General

Espruino should continue working just fine after an out of memory
    error - and actually the Linux build does have a 'memtest' where it'll
    just run the tests time after time, slowly decreasing memory so that
    it can see if anything breaks badly when out of memory happens at
    different times.

This is very reassuring :) Thanks for the guidance!

• 6 comments
  • in General

Sorry for the confusion, i meant "out of memory", not out of array bounds. I hope the following is better.

In _jswrap_interface_setTimeoutOrInterval, timerPtr is zero if there isn't enough memory. This might not have immediate consequences if all future ops align well (like jsvObjectSetChildAndUnLock). Or itemIndex may be zero despite a new timer. The consequences in this particular case may be negligible, so it may be just a bad example.

Regarding jsvObjectSetChildAndUnLock: if jsvObjectSetChildVar returns zero due to "out of memory", it won't unlock child (https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/7277a8dc9377e09f9a6837ff754e3dd8dd7615­63/src/jsvar.c#L3005). Compare with jsvArrayPushAndUnLock where value is unlocked regardless (https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/blo­b/7277a8dc9377e09f9a6837ff754e3dd8dd7615­63/src/jsvar.c#L3298).

The main question is: care about "out of memory" (e.g. if (var) { ...; jsvUnLock(var); } all the way) because there is a sane future for the system after the incident, or don't and assume nothing bad will happen. Both viable imo.

• in Bangle.js

With bluetoothctls shell you can execute remove {MAC} as well as scan le, devices, scan off. And as a last resort power off and power on. It does remember previous commands but won't autocomplete afaik. I assume there are cmdline arguments for scripting.

• in General

Hi,

I was wondering what the recommended approach to memory overflow is. Most of jsvar.c check for overflow and behave accordingly, while other code assume no overflow, e.g. _jswrap_interface_setTimeoutOrInterval. Then there is jsvObjectSetChildAndUnLock which doesn't unlock the child in case of overflow, while others like jsvArrayPushAndUnLock do.

I tried to use the following defines for perfect overflow coverage in my library

﹟define INIT(n) JsVar* _lock_array[n]; int _lock_index = 0
    ﹟define END(i) _end(i, _lock_array, _lock_index)
    ﹟define NEW(a) ({ JsVar* var = a; if (!var) return END(0); _lock_array[_lock_index++] = var; var; })
    ﹟define TMP(a) ({ JsVar* var = a; if (!var) return END(0); var; })
    ﹟define GRD(a) if (!(a)) return END(0);

JsVar* _end(int end_index, JsVar** array, int index) {
      while (index != end_index) jsvUnLock(array[--index]);
      return 0;
    }

but I'm uncertain if its worth the trouble. What if I won't check for overflow, like _jswrap_interface_setTimeoutOrInterval, would it lead to unexpected behavior in case of overflow instead of noisy "segfault"?

• in Bangle.js

I found the issue, and its not Espruino/Bangle. The callback isn't called twice (should have count it earlier) but the returned message on Nordic UART is processed twice on the remote side (Arch Linux, Intel 7260, Bluez 5.66). But only if I didn't remove the device using bluetoothctl after a reset.

Sorry for the distraction!

For future reference: when the custom characteristic is added, and my Bluez already knows about the Nordic UART from previous discover, it would immediately disconnect after connect. So I'm forced to remove and rediscover. If, however, it knows about the custom characteristic and the custom characteristic is added during a reset, it wouldn't disconnect after connect but process incoming messages twice. Or at least thats what I see and I'm able to reproduce. Remove and rediscover solves the issue for me.

Actions