mfucci

Member since Oct 2022 • Last active Oct 2022
  • 1 conversations
  • 3 comments

Most recent activity

• 8 comments
  • in Projects

BLE / IP: Yes, it is based mostly based on IP except for the initial provisioning where point-to-point connection is done over BLE or WiFi direct.
    A bridge can be used to bring a BLE device on an IP network, but Thread protocol is supposed to solve this by allowing the device to directly join a Thread network.
    So maybe bringing Matter to Espruino will only make sense after Thread is supported? (note: Thread support should only be a firmware change, since it uses the same hardware as BLE / WiFi).

RAM/Flash requirements: I think Bangle.js 2 has the correct specs
    Most of the other official boards have 64kB RAM, 512kB Flash, so maybe this should be set as the target.

• in Projects

Matter protocol is mostly agnostic of the communication type.
    Thread is the recommended wireless protocol, but it works as well with WiFi / BLE or a combo (BLE for initial discovery and WiFi for operation).

node-matter library only supports UDP communication right since this is what is natively supported by node. BLE support is in progress.
    I see that Espruino supports UDP / BLE / WiFi (and hopefully soon Thread) so those will be supported at some point.

Most of the SoC listed as supporting Matter are 1 MB Flash, 256 KB RAM.
    I don't think my library will have a smaller rom / ram footprint that the official version, so I would expect similar requirements. Maybe it is possible to support 512 KB Flash, 96 KB RAM.

For a very simple Matter device, it should be possible to really dumb down the protocol using canned answers for all requests (instead of serializing an object) so support even lower specs. However the Crypto will still require a good chunk a code and cannot be dumbed down...

• in Projects

Hi Espruino hackers,

An effort has started to add support for Espruino in node-matter: https://github.com/mfucci/node-matter/diĀ­scussions/67.
    You are welcome to join the effort if you are interested in having your Espruino devices part of your Matter ecosystem!

More context:

1. Matter is a new IoT protocol which is supposed to unify smart devices and will launch at the end of this year. It is supported by all the big ones and hopefully will make all IoT devices intercompatible!
    2. node-matter is a re-implementation of the Matter protocol in Typescript (which compiles to javascript). While it is currently built on top on node.js APIs, the dependency is minimal and it should be able to run on Espruino APIs (and even on web APIs...).

Hardware requirements:

1. The non-minified js library is about 650k, so it will fit on an Espruino device with 1M flash. Probably minifying it will bring it down to under 200k.
    2. Matter requires strong crypto for communication. Probably an Espruino with AES support will be required.

Let me know if you have any questions about Matter!

Thanks!

• Marco

Disclaimer: I am the author of node-matter

Actions