allObjects

Member since Jul 2014 • Last active Mar 2024

Espruino makes IoT as easy as 123!

Most recent activity

...oops... sorry @Coder2012 to have mysellf repeated.... figured by digging in the past...

The STM32 option from Waveshare mentions Nucleo STM32F103RB (https://www.waveshare.com/wiki/RGB-Matri­x-P3-64x64#Working_with_STM32) is the 'same' chip as is on the Espruino Original board.... The software is a different story, though.

To drive the panel decently, it needs a dedicated controller to meet the timing requirements for a flicker free operation. The software has to pull all registers to use optimally the hardware and not the sosftware. Reading https://thepihut.com/products/interstate­-75 tells me that there is not much juice left on a STM32F103RB - not from point of memory and cycles - to run and application on a source based interpreter (even though thins have sped up incredibly since Espruino's birth in the form of and on the Original board).

BUT: you could find a way to combine any Espruino with an STM32F103RB Nucleo board and run some smart and fast buffer transfer-sw on both boards. In the Espruino you use the Graphics object to build the Graphics.... after all - w/ a 24bit color depth - it is 64x64x3 = 12288 < 13kBytes Espruino graphics buffer that has to be transferred in the background from Espruino to the Controller where it is then displayed.

Conceptually you can compare it with what is described in Large Display: x by y w/ 24 bpp Graphics buffer visualized with neopixel string in zig-zag layout. I used Espruino (-Wifi) to for the application and the Graphics buffer, and a neopixel string as a combined controller and display. All was inspired by Retro Horse Derby Game Board with Neopixels showing Reaction Game Status.

The advantage of using neopixel is that there is no constant scanning required: each 8x8x8 color dot has its own memory and led driver. On the other hand, updating a 64x64 matrix with neopixels takes it's time since it is serial and can only be 800Kbps, which yields a max 8 fps (frames per second) using constant transfer. Going parallel allows higher frame rates.

You find more 'display stories' of mine in the forum to inspire you... such as Driving LED matrix with shift registers such as 74HC595, or ShiftOut question for Hannio flipDot Display or Retro Bubble Displays driven with 74HC595... it is all about the same...

For fast manipulation / transfer within graphics buffer I esperimented with embeded C functions. Efficiently moving things around in zig-zag Graphics buffer visualized w/ 24/32 bpp displays / neopixel strings. This technique can be used for a fast transfer from Graphics application board to Display controller board....

How snappy graphics could be depends all on the color depth and resolution.

• in Bangle.js

Teaching Programming, JavaScript,... and enrich the student's take away with a nifty gadget!

Worked also w/ a Puck and w/ Pixle. I see more creativity w/ a device w/ no display or limited display feature, like the Puck with the 3 color LEDs.

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

Glad you got it sorted out.

Sorry for the confusion... updated the original post and repeat it here again for who ever will come across same need...

Getting cutting edge build: Go to the Espruino Download page, Find a Binary section, select the board, and pick the Cutting Edge build link - at the bottom of the build(/release) list.

Btw, list of ALL cutting edge Espruino builds is at espruino.com/binaries/travis/master/

@Gordon, @Coder2012

The cutting edge build espruino_2v19.123_wifi.bin from https://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis­/master/espruino_2v19.123_wifi.bin does it [EDITED: BUT WATCH: this is fluid... go to the Espruino Download page, Find a Binary section, select the board, and pick the Cutting Edge build link - at the bottom of the build(/release) list].

>
     ____                 _
    |  __|___ ___ ___ _ _|_|___ ___
    |  __|_ -| . |  _| | | |   | . |
    |____|___|  _|_| |___|_|_|_|___|
             |_| espruino.com
     2v19.123 (c) 2023 G.Williams
    >
    88.02419090270 wifi connecting...
    00.74121856689 wifi connected
    > 

...and it will be in 2v20 when that is released.

@Coder2012,

used the binary approach and figured that 2.15, 2.17, 2.18 work. So I doubted my earlier confirmation that 2v19 failed. But: it kept failing... So now back to 2v18... (and some chat w/ @Gordon).

I noticed that connection could be made within the range of 8..12 seconds, but failing was always within 10..11 seconds:

2v19 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    42.02763271331 wifi connecting...
    52.05555248260 wifi connect error No 'ready' after AT+RST
    >

2v19 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    69.02761077880 wifi connecting...
    79.05558586120 wifi connect error No 'ready' after AT+RST
    >

>
     ____                 _
             |_| espruino.com
     2v18 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    00.02708053588 wifi connecting...
    08.74545001983 wifi connected
    > 

2v18 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    15.02713966369 wifi connecting...
    23.73204612731 wifi connected
    > 

2v18 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    17.02713966369 wifi connecting...
    29.74073886871 wifi connected
    > 

Disconnecting from power and reconnecting power, Espruino-Wifi, upload-run test code usually made it 12 seconds... but also got 8 seconds versions...

@Coder2012,

'good' news: 2v01 connects...

>
     ____                 _
             |_| espruino.com
     2v01 (c) 2018 G.Williams
    >
    79.02789402008 wifi connecting...
    91.23308467864 wifi connected
    > 

Now is the time to find where it went of the rails... ;-)

@Coder2012,

dug up my Espruino-Wifi... 2v01... a while updated it to 2v19 and and checked ESP8266 firmware:

var t = `
    Ai-Thinker Technology Co.,Ltd.

ready
    AT+GMR

AT version:0.40.0.0(Aug  8 2015 14:45:58)
    SDK version:1.3.0
    Ai-Thinker Technology Co.,Ltd.
    Build:1.3.0.2 Sep 11 2015 11:48:04
    OK
    `;

Using just the Wifi connection part from your code w/ time added in loggin :

// EspruinoWifiCheck.js
    // 2024-01-08_ao
    // after update to 2v19 from 2v00, w/ ESP8266 v4.0
    const WIFI_NAME = "<REDACTED>";
    const WIFI_OPTIONS = { password : "<REDACTED>" };
    const wifi = require("Wifi");

const t = (n) => { var t = getTime(); t=""+t;
      return t.substr(t.indexOf(".")-(n||2)); };
    var wc = "wifi connect";
    const connect = () => {
      console.log(t(),wc+"ing...");
      wifi.connect(WIFI_NAME, WIFI_OPTIONS, (err) => {
        if (err) {
          console.log(t(),wc+" error", err);
          return;
        }
        console.log(t(),wc+"ed");
        wc = "wifi re-connect";
      });
    };

const onInit = () => {
      wifi.on('disconnected', connect);
      connect();
    };

setTimeout(onInit,999);

And to my dismay, I get nothing different than:

>
     ____                 _
             |_| espruino.com
     2v19 (c) 2021 G.Williams
    >
    83.02755451202 wifi connecting...
    93.05551528930 wifi connect error No 'ready' after AT+RST
    > 

You obvious dug further... My Wifi had still this Retro Horse Derby Game Board with Neopixels showing Reaction Game Status code on it, which was not (yet) using Wifi (the intent was to store game results via Wifi in some (google) doc / db in the cloud), but I know Wifi at worked before (obviously like your's too...).

I'll restore older Espruino version and try again...

Actions