pelrun

Member since Jan 2022 • Last active Aug 2022
  • 0 conversations
  • 24 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

I've seen this occasionally, and as far as I can tell the lcd changes its optical properties very slightly depending on the power state of the watch. It's too fast to be a display update and the blink rate goes up dramatically when I pick the it up and the watch starts querying the accelerometer more often looking for a "twist" gesture.

• in Bangle.js

Layout precalculates the size of the widget bounding boxes. If you do anything that changes the size of a widget you need to call layout.update() before layout.render().

• in Bangle.js

The 10ms jitter is a deliberate collision avoidance mechanism in BLE. Do you really need sub-10ms accuracy on a watch?

• in Bangle.js

If you want to maximise battery life, then there are a few parameters: age, cycle count, charge level and temperature. You can't do anything about age and max charge level. Temperature in the watch should already be below 40C at all times (one would hope, being on your wrist!)

The best thing to do is to not put the watch on the charger every night, but only when the level is low. That'll remove long periods of the battery being at 100% charge. Since the watch lasts for weeks before needing a charge, even a battery that loses 20% after only 200 cycles (a extremely conservative estimate) should still be good for years.

• in Bangle.js

The hole for the barometer is on the top of the watch under the strap pin, so nowhere near the charging connector.

• in Bangle.js

The ephemerides are only valid for about 4 hours, so an upload at midnight is probably not too useful.

@Mark_M, the docs explicitly say CFG commands require waiting for an ACK, all others do not. The AGPS data only uses MSG commands. This is probably because the CFG commands modify flash settings, which are a lot slower than anything that just goes into RAM.

• in Bangle.js

Why does nobody just take me at my word? :)

Line 74-85 - downloads the AGPS data (hosted on Espruino server and pre-encoded)
    Line 157-160 - adds JS to the watch upload which writes the AGPS data to the chipset

If you're expecting to see code which interprets/builds binary CASIC commands, there isn't any - the download is already formatted for being written directly to the GPS serial port.

• in Bangle.js

You're the one who posted the information definitively identifying those files as being for Mediatek chipsets, so I don't know what else to tell you.

• in Bangle.js

I looked at the code - its not actually getting AGPS data yet - its just setting the satellites to one set or more - which makes getting a first fix simpler.

I don't know where you're getting that idea; it is absolutely downloading the AGPS data and sending it to the watch, and has been since the app was added to the Bangle.js 2 apploader. The constellation selector was committed afterwards and is only of minor/unknown benefit (although you can definitely make things worse if you disable the GPS constellation, as that's the only one we get AGPS data for.)

• in Bangle.js

I feel like we're going around in circles here; not sure how many times I need to reiterate that the .DAT files you keep pointing to are not for the AT6558.

Actions