dirkhillbrecht

Member since Dec 2021 • Last active Jan 2023
  • 9 conversations
  • 35 comments

Dirk Hillbrecht, Hannover, Germany. Software developer since the 1980ies, pledged for the Bangle.js 2. Much knowledge in Java backend programming, some knowledge in microcontroller programming, so far little knowledge in Javascript.

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Thank you for your comment, @zasqwer . I have lots of experience in programming, but only little in such restricted environments like the Bangle.js. I also think that the code is not too bad, but I'd say this is only possible because the development environment of the Bangle.js is so good: It's really simple, well-documented and quite powerful at the same time. So, let's take it as a sign that the Espruino crew really does a great job!

• in Bangle.js

I have now also released a German version of the video about the Bangle.js 2 GPS functions:

https://youtu.be/EIyhUDk7mWs

• in Bangle.js

Hi everyone,

I got quite some feedback on my last video with the Bangle.js 2 overview. So, I decided to produce another one, this time about the GPS functions of the Bangle.js 2. You can find it on

https://youtu.be/BtEdM2w1VDM

This time, I released the English version first. A German one will most probably follow.

Let me know of any remarks or comments you have. And: Spread the word!

Best regards,
    Dirk

• in Bangle.js

Stupid question, I know, but... Did you try explicitly shutting down the Gadgetbridge on the Android device (Menu -> "Beenden" in German)? I always have to do this if I want to connect to the app loader and cannot connect to the app loader until I do this.

• in Bangle.js

Wow! Great!

• in Bangle.js

Hi Gordon,

this is a great idea! I already thought about this, too, but did not come up with a suggestion as I also saw the problem of the apps.json file creation. github magic and shell script would be perfect.

I also host my own app loader with the small subset of apps I actively work on. Currently, I've stripped down apps.json manually and solve merge conflicts on rebasing my own app loader branch manually.

I think that the use case "local app loader with app subset" is quite common. May I suggest to add a "restrictedapplist.json" (or whatever name it gets) in the main app loader directory. If it does not exist, the apps.json builder behaves exactly as proposed and includes the metadata of all apps into the apps.json. If however, restricedapplist.json exists and contains a ['list','of','app','ids'], only those apps are added to apps.json. This would allow to have that restrictedapplist in pesonal app loaders, it would not create merge conflicts (as the official loader of course does not have it) and make continuous integration of the official app loader into personal copies a charm.

One could even think about moving the restrictedapplist.json evaluation alternatively into the loader code. It could work like this (pseudo-code):

getAppsJson() {
      if apps.json exists
        load it
      else if restricedapplist.json exists
        load it
        apps.json={}
        for each app in restrictedapplist.json
          load app's metadata
          apps.json['appid']=app's metadata
      else
        bail out

Small development-only app loader could leave out the apps.json creation altogether this way. Loader with more traffic would create it by script or jekyll and had no performance loss. I must admit that my time and my Javascript skills are too restricted so that I have not tried to implement this myself so far.

Best regards,
    Dirk
    (who just created parts of the footage about a Bangle.js GPS video)

• in Bangle.js

Some days ago I posted a link to an introductionary video on the Bangle.js 2 in German. I got some feedback and decided to produce another version in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwSAEcJU­Au8

Now, there is also a video you can point people to who do not understand German. Note that this is NOT a subtitled or overdubbed version of the German video, but a completely new version for which I even recreated some of the language-independent footage. I did my best to produce understandable English as a non-native speaker...

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions!

Best regards,
    Dirk

Actions