ChrisS

Member since Oct 2021 • Last active Apr 2022
  • 1 conversations
  • 26 comments

Most recent activity

• in General

I doubt analytics will put them off writing something here if they care so much about this change.

People who avoid this forum will most probably not see this thread.

people who care will have likely already found a solution they are happy with for accessing GitHub (burner accounts/etc).

The people I know of think different about this. Microsoft collects a lot of data from a lot of users. E.g. with each Windows version they collect more data from their users. The question is: Do we want to support such a company by using their platforms? Not everyone wants this and burner accounts don't help in this case.

I think I understand the reasons for using GitHub discussions but I am nevertheless a bit sad about this move.

• in General

my point was that asking questions about an Espruino device should not require a GitHub account (now managed by Microsoft and almost certainly not GDPR compliant...)

Fully agree.

Of course everyone who published an app on the Espruino GitHub repository already has a GitHub account. And that may also be the majority of the current forum users.

But people who bought e.g. a Bangle.js 2 for privacy reasons (it doesn't share data with third parties) may not want to create a GitHub account. And they may also avoid the current forum due to the use of Google Analytics and therefore not give feedback in this thread.

It would be great to have a forum where privacy-conscious people are welcome, too.

• in Bangle.js

With the new menu system I cannot open the Passkey or Whitelist menu in the Bluetooth settings. The Web IDE shows "Unhandled item type" (firmware 2v12.97).

• in Bangle.js

I wonder if many people would actually perform a backup?

I have already done that multiple times by downloading (and later restoring) every file (or at least the data / config files) one by one which is cumbersome.
    An easier way to backup / restore would be great.

• in Bangle.js

Using the button less often may prevent it from damage.
    I wonder if a button could be added to the Bangle apps page to send a reload command to the watch?

• in Bangle.js

I had that idea, too :)
    It is possible to do that with the Pattern Launcher.
    I did that but it only worked until the Bangle hang (maybe an infinite loop). The Bluetooth connection didn't work anymore in that state, and without the button it was not possible to restart the watch and make it work again. So the battery discharged and now the Bangle is unusable.

• in Bangle.js

@Gordon Did you see my PMs?
    Also another question: my Bangle turned off after the battery was discharged. I was hoping it would turn on again when connecting it to the charger but it didn't. Is this expected?

• in Bangle.js

Just for info - this is the configuration that is working for me (after disabling the internal bluetooth adapter as described in the link I posted above):

• x86_64 computer bought 2013
    • up-to-date Debian Bullseye with kernel 5.10
    • Chromium (I wouldn't use Chrome either)
    • a cheap bluetooth adapter that is working out of the box with the Debian main repositories.
  • in Bangle.js

Since a few days my Kickstarter Bangle 2 has the same problem. The button doesn't work anymore and feels soft when pressing. Wiggling the button didn't help.

• in Bangle.js

Hi,
    similar story here. I ordered a bluetooth dongle because the internal bluetooth worked for my Bangle only when put close to my computer and it didn't work for the Puck at all.

The dongle worked at first after I blocked the internal bluetooth with rfkill. But only until the next reboot of the computer. Since then rfkill didn't help anymore.

Deactivating the internal bluetooth adapter is what finally worked for me. Since then bluetooth is working for both my Bangle and my Puck.

Actions