ber

Member since Sep 2021 • Last active Apr 2022
  • 2 conversations
  • 18 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

What app are you using to use the GPS on a Bangle JS2.

gpsrec
    set to record a point every 3 seconds (because with Bangle JS1 that was the presumed interval that the old banglerun app used to make it comparable).

What are your expectations ?

Expecting that: Accuracy is on par with Bangle JS1, my smartphone or in the range of the 2.5m precision as I remember reading in the technical specs for the new chip. (This seems possible from the satellites, urban and weather conditions as BangleJS1 and my mobile can do it in the same track.)

What are your observations ?

Testing is mainly done outside away from buildings.
    Accuracy is off more than 2.5 meters, sometimes a lot, the picture of @BillM above is comparable in parts.
    Comparison with maps from the Bangle JS1 and my smartphone show that more precision is possible with the satellites.

Conclusion: We either have a GNSS chip that is significantly less accurate than others, or there are missing settings that could be tuned.

• in Bangle.js

@HughB my problem is that GPS accuracy is lacking for me. So the question how could I help to debug the situation. I've thought this script could make my problem report more detailed, but I had no quick idea how to run it, when being on the road.

• in Bangle.js

Ah, okay a customized app means an app that wants to ask me something when I install it. I'll check over the weekend.

• in Bangle.js

@Gordon thanks for sharing your experiences and hints. I agree that there are people that report having a good experience with Bluetooth on GNU/Linux. However that was not my experience. I did try the command line, two different GNU/Linux distributions, building a new kernel driver and so on, looking at various howtos. So there are some factors which are making a difference. Maybe it is the version of Linux (the kernel - I had a rather old ones). However it stopped being fun investigating.

What I don't do is using the proprietary build of Chromium, and this would be strange if they had some proprietary stuff in there making Bluetooth better and not being in the source code.

• in Bangle.js

Haven't customised an app as far as I remember (or how would I have done that?) Thanks for the hint, I'll lookout for it.

• in Bangle.js

With my Bangle.js 2 I have the strange effect that the app webapp works fine, but shows one more app for updating than it does update. So when updating all, there is still one app on display. When pressing the button for updating, it says that it does not have something to update.

(It is not a problem, mainly cosmetics, still though you may want to know.)

• in Bangle.js

@Niko I share your pain, my attempts of getting a bluetooth dongle to work never made it to "works reliably". I stepped back from it and I use an old lineageOS tablet now.

I've freshly bought three different usb bluetooth dongles in May 2021. One has a Broadcom BCM20702A0, but https://github.com/winterheart/broadcom-­bt-firmware/ shows that Broadcom stopped security support a few years ago.

The other was a "Qualcomm CSR8510" as recommended, but still had problems. This one I need to retest, because Chromium was acting strangely.

Then there is a edimax BT-8500, which came with code for a kernel module and then was most promissing.

So I believe there are multiple reasons for the problems:

1. bluetooth complexity
    2. consumers being very price sensitive and just buy cheapest, so vendors produce cheaply.
    3. Chromium (which is the codebase for Chrome) not really putting a focus on this.
    4. Not enough funding/development power for GNU/Linux Bluetooth support
Actions