AdamSmith

Member since Jan 2019 • Last active Mar 2019
  • 1 conversations
  • 5 comments

Most recent activity

• 13 comments
  • in Projects

Hi there,
    Nothing too exciting at the moment. There's a couple of active tasks at the moment with identifying an appropriately sized motor and power supply. The innards of the Scalextric cars provide a good insight as to what is required. But it's built to run off high voltage AC power. Rather than the DC that a battery solution would provide. So it's finding the balance of motor and power that will provide the correct levels of thrust vs weight for the vehicle size.
    From the code perspective, some very basic code now exists that looks to handle the acceleration and braking by applying a percentage of maximum acceleration/braking to a current speed. This should be a little more in line with how actual cars behave.
    Cheers,
    Adam

• in Projects

Sorry for the delay have been busy doing the day job.

Quick update:
    github page has been created here:
    https://github.com/Adam-STaC-Solutions/eĀ­spruino-scalextric

And: victim car has been purchased, although will require a bit of a refit to contain a whole pixl board. See images.

• in Projects

The Espruino MDBT42 breakouts is a good shout, but my Pixl.js turned up this morning. I opted for it specifically for the Bluetooth integration, but couldn't say no to the screen as well. Longer term I'm hoping to add an accelerometer and Gyro to see if I can get it to be completely autonomous.

I would definitely be looking to on-board the power supply for the espruino and the motor, quite happy for these to be separate. The challenge I'm currently investigating is the power draw of the motors and the battery supply that would be needed to power it. It appears that traditionally the motors run on 12 volts for 18,000 rpm (they do require a gearbox). The flip side of this of course is going to be weight. I know that the newer cars have magnets to improve down-force, I'm hoping that the weight of the batteries may somehow be mitigated by removing this magnet.

• in Projects

Definitely like the idea of having the race position on the roof. I know digitised railways simulate acceleration curves rather than a more boolean on and off, that's definitely something that could be brought in.

• in Projects

I'm planning to custom build a scalextric car controlled by an espruino. I have the track, but it's not delivering power correctly. As such, I'm hoping to use an espruino to control power to the onboard motor and potentially host the power supply on the vehicle. Initially I'm hoping to control this remotely, but later maybe have the vehicle automated.

All input gratefully received.

Actions