intern

Member since Apr 2017 • Last active May 2017
  • 6 conversations
  • 10 comments

Most recent activity

• 19 comments
  • in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Hi there,

I am planning to use the Puck's GPIO pin to detect if a switch is open (it will be closed most of the time), however I was wondering if the GPIO pin mode will affect the battery drain? My original idea is to connect the switch to both a GPIO pin (as input, pull down) and the 3V pin. But is there a better design that will save more power?

Thanks.

Thanks +Gordon for your replies. I will update the Puck tomorrow and hopefully it will fix the issues at the start.

Also I was wondering where is the code that I uploaded stored in the Puck? Is it in the RAM or the flash memory?
    Cause I noticed that everything that I have uploaded seems to be lost once I take the battery out/do reset(). So does the Puck not retain any previous uploaded code once the power is lost/resetted?
    If I use the require("ble_simple_uart").write() function above to write new commands to another Puck, what happens to the code previously stored? (e.g. I declared an exec() function like you mentioned) Is it overwritten or appended to the end?

Thanks for your help again :)

Hi +Gordon,

I am doing some tests on BLE UART using the ble_simple_uart module from the guide at http://www.espruino.com/Puck.js+BLE+UART­

Using the guide, I am able to program a Puck to "forward" the commands sent from the PC (Web Bluetooth IDE) In this case, I am able to turn on the LED of a second Puck without prior programming on that Puck.

The code that I am using is:

NRF.requestDevice({ filters: [{ namePrefix: 'Puck.js' }] }).then(function(device) {
      require("ble_simple_uart").write(device,­ "digitalPulse(LED3,1,1000)\n", function() {
        print('Done!');
      });
    });

However, I have some questions:

1. When I upload the code I sometimes get the error Uncaught Error: Unhandled promise rejection: undefined, it seems to be pretty random as I am able to get it to work after reuploading the code a few times. Why does this happen? (My Pucks are on 1v88)
    2. When I try to send a Eddystone broadcast command using this method e.g. require("ble_eddystone").advertise("goo.­gl/B3J0Oc"); I am unable to detect the Eddystone broadcast using Beacon Tools app on my phone. Disconnecting and reconnecting the second Puck ends up with a Connection error. In the end I am forced to reset the second Puck by pulling out the battery. Is it possible that the UART connection will interfere with the Eddystone broadcast?
    3. Currently I am only testing on two Pucks, but is there an efficient way to make the code "recursive", such that if I add more Pucks and they are only in range of the second Puck, I can make the second Puck search for other Pucks nearby, then send the command again? I know that one way to do it is to put the whole code in the "commands to be sent field" i.e.

NRF.requestDevice({ filters: [{ namePrefix: 'Puck.js' }] }).then(function(device) {
      require("ble_simple_uart").write(device,­
      "NRF.requestDevice({ filters: [{ namePrefix: 'Puck.js' }] }).then(function(device) {\n
        require('ble_simple_uart').write(device,­ 'digitalPulse(LED3,1,1000)\n', function() {\n
          print('Done!');\n
        });\n
      });\n", function() {
      print('Done!');
      });
      });

But this will only make the command broadcast 2 times in total which does not help if the number of Pucks increase. It would be great if the command becomes recursive so that each Puck that receives the broadcast can turn on the LED + search for other Pucks nearby and send them the command. Does the Puck have some functions to do this?

#4. What is the maximum command length that the require("ble_simple_uart").write() function supports?

Thanks.

Yea, I am trying to filter out all the other Puck devices transmitting using Eddystone format.

But now I am facing an issue of getting the data out, as the data is stored in the devices[i].data object. Now I am using a for loop to get each item in the devices[i].data object, then store it in another array. As I am not familiar with the js ArrayBuffer object.

new ArrayBuffer([3, 3, 170, 254, 26, 22, 170, 254, 16, 248, 3, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75])

Hi, you are correct that my Puck is now still on 1v88. I didn't update it because I have some other projects in progress and I don't want to potentially affect them through updating.

I changed 0x13 to 0x14 then add one more character to the message and it worked! Now I found that the maximum value is 0x1A and the entire message is now 31 bytes just as you mentioned.

Working: (31 bytes total)

NRF.setAdvertising([0x03,  // Length of Service List
      0x03,  // Param: Service List
      0xAA, 0xFE,  // Eddystone ID
      0x1A,  // Length of Service Data
      0x16,  // Service Data
      0xAA, 0xFE, // Eddystone ID
      0x10,  // Frame type: URL
      0xF8, // Power
      0x03, // https://
      '1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','A',­'B','C','D','E','F','G','H','I','J','K']­,
        {interval:100});

Any further extension will result in BLE Error Code 9 but that is to be expected, I think.

I am aware that the Eddystone library exists, but I am using this manual way to verify if the message can be maximum 31 bytes long.

Now I am able to use NRF.findDevices on the receiving beacon to read the information from other Bluetooth beacons nearby. I am looking into a way to filter out everything except the Puck's broadcast. One way I suspect this can be done is using the services key in the devices object as the broadcasting message has the feaa value. Though I have zero experience in js so I think this will take a while.

BluetoothDevice {
      "id": "e3:55:93:0b:72:1d random",
      "rssi": -66,
      "services": [
        "feaa"
       ],
      "data": new ArrayBuffer([3, 3, 170, 254, 26, 22, 170, 254, 16, 248, 3, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75])
     }

Many thanks for you help.

Hi Gordon, thanks for your reply.

I am currently testing out the Eddystone broadcasting function using the NRF.setAdvertising
    examples in the documentation. But when testing the maximum message length that can be sent using Eddystone format, I received an error once the message exceed 24 bytes. I heard that the maximum length supported for a Bluetooth advertising packet is 31 bytes. So why is the packet that I can send much shorter than expected?

The code that i used is:

NRF.setAdvertising([0x03,  // Length of Service List
      0x03,  // Param: Service List
      0xAA, 0xFE,  // Eddystone ID
      0x13,  // Length of Service Data
      0x16,  // Service Data
      0xAA, 0xFE, // Eddystone ID
      0x10,  // Frame type: URL
      0xF8, // Power
      0x03, // https://
      '1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8','9','A',­'B','C','D','E'],
        {interval:100});

Will result in:

>Uncaught Error: Got BLE error code 9
     at line 1 col 37
    NRF.setAdvertising(d, {interval:100});

Interestingly enough, I saw your answer on another iBeacon question which uses the code below and it works on the puck with a packet size of 30 bytes:

var d = [0x02, // Number of bytes that follow in first AD structure
        0x01, // Flags AD type
        0x04, // Flags value 0x1A = 000011010  
        //   bit 0 (OFF) LE Limited Discoverable Mode
        //   bit 1 (OFF) LE General Discoverable Mode
        //   bit 2 (ON) BR/EDR Not Supported
        //   bit 3 (OFF) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (controller)
        //   bit 4 (OFF) Simultaneous LE and BR/EDR to Same Device Capable (Host)
        0x1A, // Number of bytes that follow in second (and last) AD structure
        0xFF, // Manufacturer specific data AD type
        0x4C, 0x00, // Company identifier code (0x004C == Apple)
        0x02, // Byte 0 of iBeacon advertisement indicator
        0x15, // Byte 1 of iBeacon advertisement indicator
        0xe2, 0xc5, 0x6d, 0xb5, 0xdf, 0xfb, 0x48, 0xd2,
        0xb0, 0x60, 0xd0, 0xf5, 0xa7, 0x10, 0x96, 0xe0,// iBeacon proximity uuid
        0x00, 0x00, // major 
        0x00, 0x00, // minor 
        0xc5]; // The 2's complement of the calibrated Tx Power
        NRF.setAdvertising(d, {interval:100});

Now I am not sure if this is a Puck issue or a Eddystone issue. Hope you can help me out. Thanks in advance :)

Actions