Bangle.js 2 won't turn on

Posted on
  • My bangle.js 2 will not turn on. I've tried connecting it to its charger (yes, I let the charger magnetically attract itself to connecting rather than forcing it), pushing the button, holding the button for intervals ranging from 2-10 seconds, and nothing works. It simply won't turn on. I keep looking for answers, and I've been thinking it just happens to be a defective device. The seller, adafruit, keeps telling me to look for trouble shooting steps, except there don't seem to be any.

• This is a new device, by the way, and not one that just recently started having this issue. It didn't turn on straight out of the box, and doesn't seem to be able to take a charge. Multiple non fast charge USB ports have been tried with the cable that came with the device.

• It may sound daft but make sure you're pushing the button all the way in.

• I hear you; I can feel the gentle click of the button when pressing it, and I've tried pressing it with firmer pressure to be sure but to no avail. I think I got a defective one, but adafruit is adamant about getting espruino's approval for a refund. I do really like the idea of this watch and want to get one that works

• That's a shame. I thought mine was dead when I got it as I wasn't pushing the button all the way so I was hoping it'd be that simple for you too.

• I wish it was. Fairly disappointing because I was looking forward to using it. I definitely plan to get a new one so long as I can trade this one back in for it.

• You may try to measure voltage between outer pins on the connector to check the cable. For charging use computer or some power bank that does not turn off when power draw is low. Also it may take some time for the battery to be at level where it can power on.

• I tried using my laptop and desktop computer to charge it with no luck. I left it connected to my desktop while the computer was running for about 20 minutes, but nothing appeared to be happening on the watch, and the button still would not turn it on. And unfortunately I don't have a voltage meter.

• I did, actually. I initially thought that it needed that to be off to charge at all when I noticed it was there, but it still didn't charge.

• Hi @user154806,

I'm really sorry to hear this - it seems like a really strange issue, as they are all tested before they leave here and go out to Adafruit. It's hard to think what could have gone wrong.

It sounds from this thread like you've done everything that could reasonably be tried to get it going. If it's ok with you, can we send a replacement watch body out to you? It'll be coming from the UK so I'm afraid it could take around a week to arrive though.

If that sounds fine, please can you email contact@espruino.com with your address, and we'll get one out to you as soon as possible?

It seems getting the Bangle back from you to look at it is probably not worth the trouble returning it - because it isn't working and that could be because of the battery, USPS won't want to take it.

• they are all tested before they leave here

Do you test also the cable that goes with it? Or just the watch with some jig or your own cable?

• I just sent an email over; thank you so much for following up on this yourself and for working to resolve the situation.

• Do you test also the cable that goes with it?

That is true, we don't test the cable. I guess there is a possibility that it is broken...

• My BangleJS 2 run out of battery, i attached the charging cable over night, it doesnt turn on, cleaned the contacts (i covered them with electrical tape while wearing it) and attached the carging cable again for ~9h, still doesnt turn on :-(
    (I tried 2 different cables (baked 2 watched over kickstarter))

I tried the kickstart method with the 3v cell battery but even with the tape on the pads, the one needed pad corroded away.

Is it possible to open the watch without destroying it?

• Hi, sorry to hear about this... You shouldn't have to worry about covering the other contacts - it's literally just the one 2nd from the right that matters.

Are you sure that the USB power supply is working ok? Like if you attach your second Bangle to that charge cable, does it charge ok?

It is possible to open up the Bangle.js 2, yes. It's a bit like an iPhone where you have to heat up the display to melt the glue, but you don't want to heat it too much (near or over 100 degrees C) as it'll damage the LCD itself.

If you or a friend has a 3D printer with a heated bed, that would be totally perfect though - set the bed to 80 degrees C and put the Bangle face down on it for quite a while, then carefully lift up the display (maybe with a suction cup, or with a thin blade from one side if you don't mind chipping the surround slightly)

• hi, thanks for the fast reply.

The second banglejs charges fine with the cables.

I have a digital heat gun, that can be controlled from 50°C up to 650°C, that should do the trick :D
    I think i will try that on the weekend.
    Have a nice day!

• Thanks - good luck! Just be careful with the heat gun... I found it was a lot more reliable with some kind of hot plate than with the air.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bangle.js 2 won't turn on

Posted by Avatar for user154806 @user154806

Actions