Help with mitherm app ?

Posted on
  • Anyone know if the author of the mitherm app is on this forum ?

I getting a blank screen. When I connect through the IDE I can see.

Uncaught Error: Module textinput not found
     at line 130 col 22 in mitherm.app.js
      require("textinput").input((mac in aliases) ? aliases[mac]...
                         ^
    in function "changeAlias" called from line 165 col 30 in mitherm.app.js
    changeAlias(macs[current]);
                             ^
    in function "b" called from line 1 col 79
    ...if("function"==typeof b)b(m);else if("object"==typeof b)if("...
                                  ^
    in function "select" called from line 1 col 78
    ...a,{x:c.x,y:c.y+f-b.y-a*d.h}))
                                  ^
    in function "p" called from line 1 col 17
    e.handled||p(a,e)
                    ^
    in function called from system
    Scan complete.

• I installed one of the textinput modules but the UI is what I called 'the stong silent type'. Tells you nothing. A small dot appears on the bottom of the screen and then goes away again.

1 Attachment

• download.png
  • I give up. Without some instructions and screenshots on how this is mean't to work I'm screwed.

I've got an my MI Thermometer flashed to the custom firmware
    LYWSD03MMC B1.4, Software Version: 4.0

Real shame as this looked a really interesting app.

• The README does say:

Reads BLE advertisement data from Xiaomi temperature/humidity sensors running the
    pvvx custom firmware (https://github.com/pvvx/ATC_MiThermomete­r).

Do you definitely have the pvvx firmware? I guess you could check with NRF Connect and see if the thermometer is advertising in the correct format (service data 181a)

It seems like the textinput is only needed if you choose Change Alias from the menu - so did it not at least show the menu when the app started?

• Mo Abrahams is the author - but I'm not sure if I've seen them on the forum?

I'll also just add the textinput dependency now

• Definitel got the pvxx as I followed the link and specifically flashed it. The process was seemless and worked really well. Full marks to the people that did that work. I can connect through my Chromebook, I will give it a retry as it is always possble the chromebook held the connection. To get the menu you have to press the button to get it to pop up. I tried putting in some console.log to trace what was going on. Its defeinitely got some odd stuff going on like calling displayWidgets in the draw function etc.

• Mo Abrahams is the author - but I'm not sure if I've seen them on the forum?

I checked. No email address in Github so non-contactable.

I'm almost wondering if that should be a check-in test - ie if you cant be contacted about your checkin then maybe you should just not bother offering the code. Its a tricky one as you dont want to discourage contributions.

I was hoping I could have used this app to develop a clock_info for an external MI temperature sensor.

• ooh. I got something now. Maybe it would not connect as the Bluetooth connection from the chromebook was still connected after I flashed the firmware.

Interesting thing is that the temperature at first was almost 2 degrees out. But it does appear to have settled now. These devices tend to warm up when in your hands. IE the temp will go up as they detect the heat in your hands.

1 Attachment

• download (1).png
  • I was having the same screen on a banglejs1, but checking from IDE the issue was different :
    Uncaught Error: Function "setFont12x20" not found!

After setting a different font (vector), I am able to display info in the screen.

On the other hand, the setting alias (textinput) doesn't seem correct or usable on a bangle.js1. Is textinput available for BJS1 too?

• Is textinput available for BJS1 too?

It looks like it is (and it should get installed automatically) but the only app that does it is Morse keyboard which may not be ideal! It should be possible to get something else working though.

The 12x20 isn't on Bangle.js 1 as you noted - the app should really check with g.getFonts().includes("12x20") and use something else if it isn't there I guess.

• so, i think textinput works well in bangle.js1 but i just did't know how to use it.

Regarding the incompatible font, and just wishing.... :D

Maybe this type of "common" incompatibilities among devices can be registered/documented, so it would ease to create an script to automate the detection of incompatibilities, potential incompatibilities, potential solutions,...

Then users that develop for its/an specific device and don't use emulators can receive feedback from the script and maybe think about changing the code.

Also it can help to maintenance of the compatibility list (specially useful for new users) so avoid having apps incorrectly marked as compatible; as this one was.

• so it would ease to create an script to automate the detection of incompatibilities,

Well, we do have bin/sanitycheck.js which tries to do this - so we could have some checks in place for that one. If someone wanted to extend it to search for stuff like that it'd be more than welcome.

Longer term I do have some plans to fix the font issues with a single font that can be scaled up, and in that case it could go on Bangle.js 1 as well and everyone could just switch to that

• type of "common" incompatibilities among devices can be registered/documented,

I think we need to start enforcing decent README files or asking for new Apps to be reviewed and tested. Maybe we should ask new apps to be announced on the forum using the developers own app launcher so they can be reviewed. The no 1 issue for me would be lack of a screenshot, with a good README file following close 2nd. Could that be made into a rule for a new app ?

• Maybe we should ask new apps to be announced on the forum using the developers own app launcher so they can be reviewed

Honestly it seems a struggle sometimes even to get contributions that aren't completely broken, let alone having a README or screenshot :(

I think it's a balance - we need to be open to new contributors and not make things too hard for them, and I think demanding a review/README/etc is a step too far.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Help with mitherm app ?

Posted by Avatar for HughB @HughB

Actions