Those of us just getting into the bangle.js 2

Posted on
  • So I don't have one yet. My U.S. supplier (Adafruit) is out of stock and probably has a ton of backorders right now. But I do want to get one. I've been visiting this forum for a few days and see there are a lot of tweaks and changes people are making (and wishing for) and apps that are improving.

My questions here pertain to things like clock, menu system, BLE connection (IOS and Android), and other improvements. When a person buys a bangle, it comes with the operating system that exists at the time is was made, but what apps does it come with? Will I have to first update the operating system and then go through and upload each app I want to use? Or will things like the menu system and clock that most people like using will be already installed? If I have to reset to factory at any time, do I have to then go through the apps and re-install all of them again?

Maybe I'm really questioning what comes with the operating system and where is the line between the operating system and apps, like "the preferred default" menu app, or "preferred clock"?

Do people that use the bangle now have a list of their existing apps written down (on paper) in case they have to do a factory reset? So they can remember which apps they had installed?

I have no issues with any of this ... the point of the bangle is to mess around and have fun with it. I just want to know how people are handling the operating system and apps management. What is best practice. I'm looking forward into getting mine.

• Will I have to first update the operating system and then go through and upload each app I want to use?

Yes - but this is now a very simple, easy and reliable process.
    You can do it all through the main App loader at:

https://banglejs.com/apps/

The firmware updater app is at:
    https://banglejs.com/apps/?q=firmware

When you get your bangle it will be installed with the firmware it left the factory with (@Gordon's garage I image). This is 2vX and you can then update to 2v13 (the official stable release) or to 2v13.x which is one of the nightly builds (or known as cutting edge). I am currently running on 2v13.13. The nightly builds of the firmware are very stable and it is rare that a cutting edge build is broken and issues get fixed quickly so I'm never too worried about updating to the latest cutting edge build.

If I have to reset to factory at any time, do I have to then go through the apps
    and re-install all of them again?

Yes a factory reset set of apps is stored somewhere in the firmware and when you do a factory reset the current storage is erased and the default apps rewritten to the storage.

You can mark apps as you favourites and it literally takes 1-2 minutes to reinstall your setup. The only thing you then have to do is change your settings to your preferred defaults. EG I always disable wake on twist and set the LCD brightness to 0.5 or less.

What is best practice. I'm looking forward into getting mine.

So I would suggest something like:

1. open you brand new Bangle
    2. update the firmware
    3. install some apps, play around with them, install some other apps and delete others.
    4. mark some of the apps that are not the deafult apps as favourites.
    5. do a factory reset through the IDE, type Bangle.factoryReset() when connect through the IDE in the left hand side of the IDE.
    6. Now go back on the app loader, select Apps and click on the More option, you should see options to 'install favourites' or 'install deafults' etc.

Repeat.

• I just want to know how people are handling the operating system and apps management

There is also a Backup function in https://banglejs.com/apps/ under "More", "Utilities". That brings all files - that are apps and settings and data, not firmware - to a zip and back.
    [Its a shame that android doesn't have something similar. Was already good standard in symbian times]

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Those of us just getting into the bangle.js 2

Posted by Avatar for Max_S @Max_S

Actions