I demand BangleJS3!

Posted on
Page
of 5
First Prev
/ 5
  • It's a tricky one - I guess in theory I could design a higher priced, low-volume watch with a CNC milled case and all those features.

But I'm not sure there's enough demand at the moment that I would ever make my my money back on it :(

Maybe that will change, but as you can see from this thread, everyone had different ideas about what they want, and many of them are conflicting.

For instance Qi charging would make a lot of sense to enable some good water resistance, but then you also want a speaker, which for it to be loud would probably make water resistance very difficult.

• so maybe after that one is gone completely?

I think keeping support for old models like bangle.js1 is not bad at all for the project neither for users of new models. As it forces to apply better coding practises, help detecting the lack of abstraction between the code and the hardware.
    It would be amazing having the official espruino and most apps working in some of the watches that jeffmer made to work with its espruino fork.

Yes, the different display sizes are a challenge, but I am sure there is a solution for it :)

• Well, these are just thoughts, suddenly there will be a wider choice among donors for the next B.js watch :)

• If the design ticks most of my boxes I'm more than happy to pay in advance without expecting immediate results.

As far as the speaker goes, a piezo disc conducting sound into the case back has been tried and tested method of getting waterproof watches to make sound for years and imho the use cases for actual sound playback are quite limited in a watch, the sound feature will likely be used for simple notifications most of the time. Two use cases come to mind, TTS for blind/ partially sighted users, and navigation directions. This could perhaps be accomplished using BT earbuds.

Re Qi charging, I'm sure this is dealt with in phones and other smartwatches or perhaps it's no issue at all but it might be worth checking that the charging EMF or the magnetic core disc don't damage or interfere with the magnetometer.

• SPL06

Is that optional? I thought the Bangle2 comes with "Air Pressure/Temperature sensor (Bosch BMP280 / Goertek SPL06)".

• Both the BMP280 and SPL06 are pressure sensors. So I read that as you can have either the BMP280 or the SPL06, not both. Like a car, which can have a stereo from panasonic or sony.

• Yes - after the first run, with the component shortage the sensor had to be swapped - so original ones have BMP280 and any Bangle you buy now will have the SPL06. Nice thing is because it's JavaScript running on top it really doesn't make a difference to code or how the watch behaves at all.

• Turns out there are waterproof baro sensors, e.g. (first hits) BM1390GLV or LPS33HW ..

The sensor could be installed in a separate open cavity with a flat flex passing into the main sealed cavity either through a potted section or between soft gaskets.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

I demand BangleJS3!

Posted by Avatar for Micha_home @Micha_home

Actions