after upgrade to 2v11: App Loader no longer working

Posted on
  • I just updated my Bangle.js 2 to firmware 2v11 - but now, the app loader no longer allows me to do anything. Since the error messages ("toasts") disappear after a few seconds (could that be changed, please!), I had to look into the browser debug console for more information. Here is what I found there:

Chosen device BANGLEJS2
    puck.js:406 <BLE> Device Name:       Bangle.js 8636
    puck.js:406 <BLE> Device ID:         C6uV/VXV/s05Mi2CwS5cWw==
    puck.js:406 <BLE> Connected
    comms.js:151 <COMMS> Ctrl-C gave "\r\u001b[J        let date=new Date();g.reset();g.clearRect(0,24,239,23­9);g.setColor...\r\n              ^\r\ndebug>"
    comms.js:186 <COMMS> ERROR Parsing JSON SyntaxError: Unexpected token I in JSON at position 0
    comms.js:187 <COMMS> Actual response:  "In debug mode: Expected a simple ID, type 'help' for more info.\r"
    ui.js:86 <TOAST>[error] Device connection failed, Invalid JSON
    puck.js:406 <BLE> Disconnected (gattserverdisconnected)
    comms.js:260 <COMMS> removeAllApps start
    comms.js:265 <COMMS> removeAllApps: received "In debug mode: Expected a simple ID, type 'help' for more info.\r"
    ui.js:86 <TOAST>[error] App removal failed, Got "In debug mode: Expected a simple ID, type 'help' for more info."
    2puck.js:406 <BLE> Disconnected (gattserverdisconnected)
    comms.js:151 <COMMS> Ctrl-C gave ""
    puck.js:406 <BLE> SEND ERROR: NotSupportedError: GATT operation failed for unknown reason.
    2puck.js:406 <BLE> Disconnected (gattserverdisconnected)
    comms.js:265 <COMMS> removeAllApps: received null
    puck.js:406 <BLE> Disconnected (gattserverdisconnected)
    ui.js:86 <TOAST>[error] App Install failed, 

Basically, the watch claims to be "in debug mode" which is why the App Loader does not get the expected JSON.

If I connect to the watch using the Web IDE and then type "help" into its left side, I get the response "help" is not defined:

>help
    Uncaught ReferenceError: "help" is not defined
     at line 1 col 1
    help
    ^

I already reset my smartwatch several times, without any luck.

• (message with potential workaround deleted - that trick worked just until the next reconnect)

• I might have found a solution:

• at first, connect using the Web IDE
    • then, in another window, open the App Loader and connect (the Web IDE will show you any responses from the watch)
    • upgrade any outdated apps (e.g., Settings, Bootloader etc.) and/or delete an old/install a new application

From then on, everything seems to work fine again - but don't ask me why!

• Glad you got it working. It could be caused by a clock face/similar taking far too long to render? Was it something that you'd written yourself, or is the watch standard?

The IDE has some code to recover from having hit debug mode though (which you get from a Ctrl-C if you're in a loop that is taking a long time to finish) and that could be ported to the app loader if this turns out to be a problem for many people?

• Unfortunately, I can't remember any more - at least, I got it working again, that's what counts!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

after upgrade to 2v11: App Loader no longer working

Posted by Avatar for Andreas_Rozek @Andreas_Rozek

Actions