EspruinoHub bluetooth without BLE

Posted on
  • I installed Espruino Hub on my raspberry pi zero.

Even though I do not have bluetooth adaptor on my pc. I am able to go on my pc, to:

pizero:1888/ide

There is an iframe inside that loads the 'public' ide. I thought that this is equivalent to me using my pc to access the 'public' ide .. except today I discovered that it uses the bluetooth from my pizero .. and that 'bangle.js/espruinodevice' is listed and I can connect to it. I was surprised by this.

Is anyone else surprised? This way I dont have to use ble on my mobile as a relay function : espruino.com/ide/relay . Hmm

Or is doing it another way, maybe through MQTT bridge?? not sure. Btw I'm happy, not complaining, this is super useful to me.!

• No, that's the idea! EspruinoHub is providing the connection for you - any communications stay inside your house. It's just that the IDE iframe is used so you always get an up to date IDE (it'll still work offline though because it's a PWA!).

Recently I did find an issue with it and reconnections (if the device itself drops the connection to EspruinoHub) but I plan to push changes to fix that this week.

• But I still thought its like EspruinoHub is acting like a web server? How is it using the WebServer's bluetooth and not my Chrome/Browser(PC)'s bluetooth??
    Is it explicitly coded to use the WebServers bluetooth? I find that strange? Hm?

Ah ok so it has 2 functions, it can either be remote or ran locally, and its still useful locally. I get it now. Still clever how it detects bluetooth though. What if you're public hosted one would use your web servers' bluetooth :P

• Is it explicitly coded to use the WebServers bluetooth?

Yes, it is. It uses WebSockets to communicate with EspruinoHub, which then does the work.

What if you're public hosted one would use your web servers' bluetooth :P

It's actually something I'm looking into doing. It's just that I want to be sure it's properly secure if I do that!

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

EspruinoHub bluetooth without BLE

Posted by Avatar for d3nd3-o0 @d3nd3-o0

Actions