save() freezes

Posted on
  • I finally have completed the code for a project, which contains a lot of "compiled;" statements and even one 'E.compiledC' block. The latter was necessary to get another speed boost by about factor 2 in my case.

In total the program barely fits into the memory, but it runs fine on the microcontroller.

However, if I want to save() it, the microcontroller freezes.

Compacting Flash...
    Calculating Size...

This is probably similar to the problem mentioned here, but for the Original Espruino Board.

• Ahh, yes, it probably is. Which firmware do you have?

Could you install one of the cutting edge builds from http://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis/­master/ and see if that fixes it?

• So far, I have used it with the latest official firmware version.
    With the cutting edge build I now got:

ERROR: Too big to save to flash (22197 vs 20480 bytes)

This is better as it does not crash and gives me information about how much smaller the code must be.

I can use the save on send option "Direct to Flash" then. However, the code will be interpreted slightly different in that case (as also mentioned here).

Thanks for the hint about the latest version. While it doesn't fix the problem it gave me an idea what is wrong.

• Ok, great! You could try turning on Minification I guess.

If you're willing to post up your code I might be able to suggest some changes to get the size down?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

save() freezes

Posted by Avatar for CWBudde1 @CWBudde1

Actions