Connecting using Windows 10

Posted on
  • So I've read through as many posts as I could before asking this but I cannot connect via windows 10.
    1) I have paired with the puck, then tried using the web IDE to connect but it states "No ports found".
    2) I have paired with the puck then tried to establish a com connection in windows but the device does not appear.
    3) I have used the nrfToolbox app and reflashed the firmware to version espruino_1v92_puckjs.zip and tried again.
    I am not using a Bluetooth dongle, I am using the built-in Bluetooth 4.2.
    I am able to communicate with the puck via the nrf and adafruit apps.
    Am I missing a step?

1 Attachment

• win_10_ble_connection.PNG
  • Which IDE are you using? Are you using the normal 'web IDE' that you've used with serial devices before, or are you using the 'Native IDE' from http://www.espruino.com/Web+IDE#as-a-nat­ive-application ?

Unfortunately until Google adds Web Bluetooth support for Chrome on Windows you have to use the Native version.

The COM port stuff is a red herring - The Bluetooth LE UART never appears as a Windows COM port, so you won't see (or be able to connect) to it via the built-in windows COM port menus.

• ahh. I was using the IDE from the Chrome webstore. When I was reading about issues with the IDE on Chrome via Web Bluetooth I thought it meant this IDE https://www.espruino.com/ide/.
    I cannot install things to the PC because of admin privileges. can the 'native IDE' be run portably?

• That'd be it then! It's frustrating - originally I'd hoped that Web Bluetooth for windows would have been done by Christmas, but it seems to have got quite delayed!

'portably'? You can extract the files and run them without installation if that helps?

Your other option is to try the Web IDE relay - info here: http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­300770/

• Thank you, I just unpacked the file using 7 zip onto my USB instead of using the installer.
    It works now ,thanks

• Great! That's good to know!

Seems like a crazy kind of protection that doesn't let you install anything but allows you to run arbitrary executables!

• Yes, it's crazy. To be honest, I should know better than to run something admin hasn't installed, but hey.
    Have you ever considered creating a package/wrapper for use with the Atom editor? I use Atom as my default editor, it would be amazing to be able to send commands from there. I would imagine it would be fairly easy for you considering it's built using Node.js

• You can npm install -g espruino and can then do espruino -p /dev/your-device -w yourfile.js

You then get a console window to Espruino, but every time you write to the js file it'll auto-upload to Espruino. I'm afraid an Atom plugin's just too much effort for me, especially as trying to get 'native' JS modules (like are needed for serial and BLE) running under Electron is a nightmare, and I don't think many people would get far with it.

• @Gordon, in CPU monitor tutorial you use the following batch file.

@echo off
    :start
    (@for /f "skip=1" %%p in ('wmic cpu get loadpercentage') do (@echo draw^(%%p^) > \\.\COM32))
    @timeout 1 > nul
    goto start

How can I change the com port to access a puck?

I know the full Bluetooth device instance ID is:
    BTHLE\Dev_ff445c88d44e\7&3208b348&0&ff44­5c88d44e
    The native web IDE displays it as ff:44:5c:88:d4:4e

• I'm afraid that's not going to be possible to do directly right now - since the BLE UART support isn't built into the OS, you'd need some other application to make the connection and send the data.

Do you know how to use Node.js to write software for your PC? That could be a good option - if you use the winnus NPM module then you could connect and send data to Puck.js from your PC

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Connecting using Windows 10

Posted by Avatar for JackJamesHoward @JackJamesHoward

Actions